Home » empowerment » Fashion for Mental Emotional Well-Being

As a woman who has worked from home for over fifteen years, I have learned that you have to get out and about to stay healthy, and happy.

Interestingly enough, I am far more productive with my work when I do not tie myself to my desk all day.

For years I was dedicated to family.

Homeschooling my children and friends and families children.

Keeping up the house, and working from home.

It was almost a year ago today that I started this blog.

My kids were no longer kids and had become young adults.

While I have not yet had to face empty nest syndrome, as I still have one young adult living at home, I knew I had better start something “more” for myself.

Plus the true motivation of this blog was that I had allowed myself to spend years in my pajamas!

Fashion For Mental Emotional Well-Being

Fashion For Mental Emotional Well-Being

I used to be on top of the fashion trends when I was younger.

I used to look forward getting dressed every day.

Yet, as any mid-life woman knows, sometimes you just don’t have the energy to care.

Add working from home to that equation.

I really did not need to get dressed at all every day or any day!

Honestly, I was only getting dressed for the days I had an appointment for the kids, or had plans for a homeschool event outside of the house.

I mean sure, I would get out of my pajamas but usually into something “comfortable”.

This equated to my oldest, loosest shorts and a tee, or sweats.

This habitual behavior was beginning to take its toll on my energy levels, my motivational levels, and my self-esteem.

I knew I had to change something, and fast.

I also had more time on my hands as I was no longer homeschooling.

My kids were older and needed less focus.

Then the workaholic behavior pattern began to sink in!

How I Took Control Using Fashion For Mental Emotional Well-Being:

I would get dressed, very nicely most days, and this helped tremendously with my attitude, my self-esteem, and my motivation.

Still, I was not getting out anywhere to show off my new tote, or have a purpose for doing my hair and makeup that day.

No motivation other than for myself, and let’s face it, we all need a little more than winking at ourselves in the mirror!

It is important not only to treat ourselves to looking good, wearing presentable clothing, doing our hair and makeup but getting out of the house for some fresh air means so much.

You do not have to be going to a social gathering, meeting friends, or even hanging out in a public place for the positivity of being out of the house to do the trick.

Things Got Better After Using Fashion For Mental Emotional Well-Being:

Today, (well yesterday as I write this as it just struck midnight here), my daughter wanted to go shopping for succulents.

I admit I was knee deep in work, but I was also feeling distracted, so I decided to go with her.

While on one hand, I did have several things lined up to get done by the time I got home, I found myself at least 50% more productive once I did!

Just getting out and doing something other than work itself is key.

Plus we had a great time looking at all of the beautiful plants and flowers today.

Here are photos of my time out and my daughter’s beautiful arrangement:

Fashion For Mental Emotional Well-Being
Where Are All Of The Succulents?

Our first stop did not provide us with what we were looking for so we went to two more places before we hit the mother load!
Fashion for Mental and Emotional Well-Being
Well Selected Accessories
Accessorizing is always important even if you are just running to the store.
Sure I have my quick jaunts down to the Dollar General now and then.
I did not worry if my purse matched my top or whatever but you never know who you can run into.
I know personally, I do not want to run into anyone who may ask me what I do for a career and have to sheepishly say “I’m a fashion blogger” if I am wearing sweats!

Fashion For Mental Emotional Well-Being Is An Attitude:

I think that we all need to adopt this attitude a little that we are all fashionistas!
No, we do not always need to be dressed to the nines but at least make sure those sweats are cute.
Right!?
Fashion For Mental Emotional Well-Being
So Beautiful!

I just love succulents!

They are so unusual and Dr. Suess-ish.

My daughter bought five plants and a planter, arranging them into the beautiful final outcome above, lower right photo.

She did an amazing job, we both got out and about and enjoyed a beautiful day together.

When I returned home I got back to work, with a clear mind.

I was far more productive and focused than I had been prior to getting out, including writing this blog post!

Ladies, don’t confine yourself to the home, your kids, no matter how much you love them you need a life too.

Fashion For Mental Emotional Well-Being

Dress up, or just get dressed at all, get fresh air, the sunshine, or play in the rain.

Treat yourself well, you deserve it!

I would love to hear your thoughts and feelings on this topic.

1. December 9, 2017 / 5:19 pm

First off you look stunning! Secondly I could not agree more about taking care of yourself and getting some fresh air. I feel so much better when I am not sitting at home on my computer all day. I need to take a break from blogging once in awhile and enjoy the fresh air!

• December 9, 2017 / 5:20 pm

Thank you so much Jeanette! I pulled this article from the “archives” because I think it has an important message. Thank you so much for the support! It just helps us so much to get away from it all now and then.

2. December 9, 2017 / 6:35 pm

This is great and I totally agree as a blogger of an older age. It’s easy to get tied to the computer and we need to break away and out of the yoga pants!

• December 10, 2017 / 3:55 pm

Indeed! I use PJs, sweats and yoga pants as a treat to myself rather than daily wear.

3. December 9, 2017 / 6:54 pm

I dress almost everyday as if I’m working outside the home. It gives me a sense of pride. Once or twice a week it’s pajama or sweatpants day, because I feel I owe it to myself to “let my hair down”.

• December 10, 2017 / 3:54 pm

Exactly!!! I am the same! I use the sweats and PJ days as sabbatical days, as a treat! We are of the same mind here.

4. December 9, 2017 / 7:04 pm

My wife and I both work from home, and I kid with her some days as to why she’s always dressed up. For her, it’s her pride, plus, if she decides to go out for an errand or to pick up the kids.

5. Tomi C
    December 10, 2017 / 4:35 am

Clothes do have a way of making us feel a little better. We tend to get so used to being “comfortable ” with out yoga pants and leggings but it’s nice to dress up, smile, put on a little makeup and seize the day.

• December 10, 2017 / 3:53 pm

Indeed Tomi you are so correct! I use the yoga pants and sweats as a treat not the norm these days.

6. December 10, 2017 / 5:21 am

You look amazing and I love your style! I can so relate, being a working from home freelancer I fell into the comfort of being in PJs all day pretty much but I realized when I do dress up I feel much better. Thank you for this reminder 🙂

• December 10, 2017 / 3:50 pm

So happy to hear that it was a nice reminder. Yes it is easy to fall into that trap.

7. Tim B
    December 10, 2017 / 6:32 am

It seems like I’m either in a suit or jeans and a sweat shirt. Not much middle ground between the two when it comes to my wardrobe. Maybe I should pick up a few items that are a little less casual for when I’m not at work but still out and about around town.

• December 10, 2017 / 3:51 pm

That isn’t a bad idea at all Tim! Glad to have inspired you a little! Thanks for reading and commenting!

8. December 10, 2017 / 7:19 am

I used to be much more info fashion than I am now. I still love it, just have gained weight and not feeling it. Leggings are my friend!

• December 10, 2017 / 3:52 pm

Heather I was in the same spot as you but you know there are plenty of gorgeous lovely ladies who are curvy and rock the current trends. I know you can too! Don’t let extra weight keep you from loving your body!

9. December 10, 2017 / 8:04 am

Good motivation and mental thinking. That is a very good way to express yourself. You look good with that outfit.

10. December 10, 2017 / 5:54 pm

Yes, I get dressed and even do my makeup even when I know I am not leaving the house. It helps me be more productive. Occasionally, I’ll stay in PJs to relax and have a special day!

• December 11, 2017 / 10:18 pm

Exactly! I use those easy going PJ days as a special day and it feels so much more special too when I do!

11. December 10, 2017 / 7:12 pm

I think it is so important to look put together, to feel put together. It doesn’t have to be dressed up, but enough that you are taking care of your looks. I remember the days of feeling like I was unkempt, like a zombie with a newborn. Even now, if I put on a nice scarf, I feel more presentable. Love your outfits and your outlook on things!

• December 11, 2017 / 10:56 pm

Exactly! I agree! We not need to be ALL OUT and get totally dressed up as much as just even being dressed lol. I remember days I took barely scraped up whatever was laying on my bedroom floor! What we say outwardly has a lot to do with how we feel inwardly and vice versa. Thank you too Marysa for the nice complements!

12. December 10, 2017 / 10:34 pm

I think there is something to be said about getting a little dressier than normal. I have a hard time spending time on me, but feel good when I do!

• December 11, 2017 / 10:57 pm

Indeed – I am not perfect by any means – I have “those days” for sure but you are right when we make a little more effort we do feel better.

13. December 11, 2017 / 3:30 am

I work super hard from home, but, I love going out. Not only is it fun to put on something cute or try a new look, but, it does make you feel much better. I find the fresh air enlivening, especially now that it’s winter! Refeshes my mind and my senses and I do get more done, sleep better and feel better overall.

• December 12, 2017 / 4:30 pm

Oh I love what you said here Debra! I agree a mental refresh is the best!

14. December 11, 2017 / 3:45 am

You look super cute in the outfit. And I agree with you that sometimes just getting out and feeling good about one’s self can make one more productive when they are home staring at the computer again. Need to have balance.

• December 12, 2017 / 4:31 pm

That is so sweet of you to say! Thank you! Indeed Balance Is KEY! Great point!

15. NYC Single Mom
    December 11, 2017 / 4:47 am

I love all your accessories that make your outfit pop. I totally agree one needs to get out. And you don’t not so much dress up but take an interest in what you look like when you go out. If I am going shopping/running errands I force myself to not wear my yoga pants. First I look crap in my yoga pants, they look good at the gym and no where else. And worst of all, I dont feel good. Even if I am wearing jeans with a colorful sweater and scarf at least I know I tried!!!

• December 11, 2017 / 10:53 pm

Right exactly! And honestly I am not even concerned if I did run into someone I know. It’s more about feeling put together enough that I feel good, have more energy, and it just makes running errands more fun! Thank you for the compliments too!

16. December 11, 2017 / 2:29 pm

It’s so important to dress in clothes that make us feel good. Currently I’m recovering from back surgery. The first week I was in PJs only. The second week I put on a cute outfit and a little makeup and felt energized to leave the house!

• December 12, 2017 / 4:32 pm

Wow you recovered fast Mary! Good for you – back surgery sounds painful! I bet you were so ready to get out of PJs. After a whole week of forced reset you probably wanted to feel human and get dressed again! I know there are sometimes I wish I could spend a week in my PJs lol but it’s not exactly spa week when you just had back surgery!

17. December 11, 2017 / 8:16 pm

Love the red accessories. Especially the boots. I think your appearance does help your mood and attitude and how you feel about yourself.

18. December 12, 2017 / 12:35 pm

Whenever I’m feeling down, dressing up in a stylish and chic outfit always lifts my spirits back up. It’s true that fashion has a way to make us feel better.

• December 12, 2017 / 6:13 pm

It really does Diana. It may take more effort but once we do it we just feel better.

19. December 12, 2017 / 8:24 pm

I have always been a sweatshirt and jeans kind of gal. For me, that is what gives me more confidence. You do look amazing! These are ideas that many can use!

• December 13, 2017 / 9:40 pm

Jennifer if tees and jeans make you feel good than you look good! Nothing wrong with that!