You may be following my Pet Profile articles.

In each, I introduce one of our furkids or extended fur family members.

Because they play a central role here on the blog I felt I should introduce each of them.

Each of these furry wonders has a personality all their own.

Today’s Pet Profile is all about our sweet little Lyla.

Our Lyla came to be with us right after she was weaned.

Pet Profile Lyla

Little Lyla was always a frail little pup.

I expect it has a lot to do with the place we got her from which seemed sketchy.

Lyla was, of course, a playful, spunky pup, as most little dogs are.

Pet Profile: Lyla - A Ruff Life But Very Loved

Not long after being with us, she broke her little leg.

I won’t go into the horrifying scenario because I can’t relive it.

We rushed her straight to the emergency vet and got her fixed up.

My heart broke when I heard her little puppy yelp. I held her and cried all the way to the vet.

Pet Profile: Lyla - A Ruff Life But Very Loved

She recovered, however, I did not feel the vet had set her leg correctly.

This was later verified by our current vet who is very good.

To this day her leg is crooked.

While she gets around fine, it looks painful and is hard to look at.

My poor baby.

As Lyla grew, so did her gorgeous coat! She had the longest, softest, prettiest fur!

Pet Profile: Lyla - A Ruff Life But Very Loved

Lyla’s heavy coat caused her to overheat in the Spring and Summer.

We had her hair cut back to provide her cooling and comfort.

Shortly after having her groomed she developed a thyroid issue.

Her hair never fully came back but we think she is still beautiful.

Pet Profile: Lyla - A Ruff Life But Very Loved

Lyla has developed arthritis, hip, kneecap, and joint issues.

She gets Charlie horses and has to stretch her legs often to get her kneecap back into place or get her joints stretched, and get her overall alignment back.

It is so hard to see your furbaby suffer and not be able to ask them what you can do for them.

This is why great veterinarian care is so crucial and why I taught my kids never to have pets until they can afford to properly feed, and care for them.

With all of her issues, Lyla is one spoiled, and very happy pup.

She is also a camera ham!

Often taking a starring role in many sponsored articles, such as this article for PetSmart Grooming where Lyla got a spa day treatment for her birthday!

Pet Profile: Lyla - A Ruff Life But Very Loved

I think you can see how proud she is after her grooming where she got all the extras!

One last catastrophe…

Just a few months ago Lyla was out in her own fenced yard, happy as a lark, going potty, and playing.

I was right inside the house but heard the most horrific yelping!

Little Lyla was pinned down by our neighbor’s one hundred fifty-pound Bull Mastiff!

Now I honestly feel the Mastiff was simply playing with Lyla, but when you are a tiny little Papillon/Pomeranian mix and easily scared, you go into a defensive posture.

For Lyla, this was on her back yelping.

The Mastiff did take a chunk out of Lyla’s back and separated her skin from her muscle tissue.

This took medication, and a few weeks to heal.

Ironically now her fur grows rampant in the area of her injury!

Our neighbor felt horrible, and how his giant Mastiff jumped our fence is beyond us all.

We did not sue or anything of that nature as animals are instinctual, and it was an accident.

The neighbors are now more careful about keeping their dogs in their own yard!

Plus, the neighbor’s wife punished him enough.

So as you can see, or read that is, Lyla has had her challenges, but she is loved, adored, and we feel blessed to have her in our lives.

So that brings us to …

20 Facts About Lyla

1. Our little Lyla is a chowhound!

Although she is at a healthy weight, she can eat like a horse and not
get too fat.

It is amazing to me since she cannot run fast and wear off what she takes in.

She must have a high metabolism.

2. She has an obsession with licking her paw, a hot spot.

We try to keep her distracted from it when we see her licking it too much.

3. She gets extremely scared and nervous during storms.

We have tried medicating her but she adapted to the medication, so we stopped and now use natural calming techniques like massage, a Thunder Shirt, and distraction. Update: Lyla now is so much calmer and happier due to Therabis.

4. She rarely has an accident on the floor, unless it is during a storm.

Due to her fear of storms sometimes we have an accident but Lyla is very good at lettings us know when she needs to go outside.

She has always been a very well behaved pup.

5. Lyla knows her medication schedule better than we do.

If we miss medicine time by even a few minutes, Lyla is reminding us. This is because she gets her medicine in a pill pocket. She also knows her treat time to a T as well.

Pet Profile: Lyla - A Ruff Life But Very Loved

6. Toys do not seem to interest her.

They did when she was a puppy, but she lost interest in them when she became a big girl. We are up for trying new things but usually unless there is a treat involved, she has no interest.

7. Lyla loves her car rides and gets at least one every weekend.

Sometimes she also gets a surprise car ride during the week.

She loves to feel her fur, what is left of it, blowing in the wind.

Pet Profile: Lyla - A Ruff Life But Very Loved

8. Lyla misses her brother Glover, and her sister Brandy.

Not blood siblings, but they were the three amigos and she misses them both dearly.

9. She is not a huge fan of cats.

Lyla does tolerate them as long as they do not encroach too much on her property.

Sometimes she will “share” her pillow with Nub but only if Nub has laid down on Lyla’s pillow first.

10. Sadly, she is not very sociable with other animals.

She does alright when we take her to PetSmart, but I would not set her loose in a doggie park.

Lyla seems to think she is a big dog, and I am afraid she would send out the wrong signals and end up hurt.

Also, since she has many injuries, she could get hurt simply trying to play with other animals.

She still gets some exercise though and can run, just not like she used to.

Pet Profile: Lyla - A Ruff Life But Very Loved

11. More her size, Lyla loves chasing squirrels.

I think most dogs do though.

12. Frozen Carrots and peas are two of her favorite snacks.

Lyla demands frozen veggies daily.

She gets testy if she does not have them and like other treat times reminds me when it’s time for her carrots.

Sometimes, bribing her with carrots is the only way to get her to come inside.

13. Other than car rides, in the Spring and Summer, Lyla gets treated to lawn mower rides.

With the blades turned off for her safety, Lyla enjoys a ride around our large yard.

You can read more about Lyla’s lawnmower rides here.

Pet Profile: Lyla - A Ruff Life But Very Loved

14. Adorable little Lyla makes the cutest sounds while sleeping.

The sounds she makes are sort of a long, soft, squeal like sound.

15. Lucky dog that she is, she loves our floor to ceiling windows.

She lays by one all day looking outside.

This means often she is barking at something or someone.

That brings me to the next fact about Lyla…

16. On the dark side, she does not like children!

The smaller they are the more threatened by them she is, and the angrier she gets.

This was not so bad until we had new neighbors move in across the street.

They have several small kids.

Now Lyla has something to bark at most every day.

Fun for her, annoying for me since she sleeps by the floor to ceiling window in my office.

This just happens to be directly across the street from the neighbors with kids!

17. Like many pets, she gets clumped up tear stains on her fur by her eyes.

Lyla loves warm moist cotton rounds on her eyes as a little spa treatment.

Granted, most of the time I gently pick the clumps away but a few times a month, mama will moisten some cotton rounds with warm water and gently hold them on Lyal’s eyes for a few minutes.

This spa treatment relaxes Lyla and I can tell she loves and appreciates it.

18. She has a doggie bed in every room of the house that we spend time in.

The office, living room, and our bedroom are the main areas she enjoys the comfort of her doggie pillows.

She does not take to new pillows very well and prefers older ones that are flattened down.

This does not seem the most comforting to me, as I would prefer the cushiness of a new pillow.

It takes time for Lyla to appreciate her new ones.

I guess they do not have her smell on them yet.

19. Lyla’s birthday is April 1st.

It’s no joke, Lyla was born on the prankster day of the year.

20. Her favorite thing in the world is getting belly rubs and a long puppy massage.

You can just see the stress melt away, and a smile comes to her little puppy face.

She truly appreciates and enjoys being given extra love, and I try to give her a massage once a day.

Pet Profile: Lyla - A Ruff Life But Very Loved

I hope you enjoyed learning more about our Lyla.

If you did please be sure to check out my other Pet Profiles, and look for more to come!

I love hearing from you, and Lyla would love to hear what you think about her profile.

1. February 7, 2018 / 7:58 am

Lyla is gorgeous and sounds like a delight ti have in the family. I’m so sorry about her rough start. Id you still have trouble with her fur, let me know. My friend had the same issue and now her dog’s coat is gorgeous.

• February 8, 2018 / 10:17 pm

Awee thank you so much. Oh I would love to know what your friend used. Lyla’s coat is much better – part of her skin issue is her thyroid. The medicine does help but it’s not perfect by any means. Always happy to learn more from my pet loving friends.

2. February 7, 2018 / 10:15 am

What a sweet girl! I’m so sorry to hear about all of her setbacks, but it seems Lyla is one happy-go-lucky girl. And she has the best parents to keep her happy and healthy. The lawn mower rides crack me up. Our dogs are terrified (or maybe threatened?) by the lawn mower and therefore try to eat them. Through neighbor’s fences and the one time that we let them out back when we didn’t know our lawn guy was there.. whoops! They all encircled the poor guy and started barking and trying to attack his riding mower.. LOL He was a good sport about it and they were fine as soon as it was turned off. Thanks for sharing more about your special girl!

• February 8, 2018 / 10:21 pm

Thank you so much Debbie. She is such a sweetie that’s for sure. The idea of your dogs trying to eat the lawnmower crack me up. I can just see them circling the poor lawn guy BOL!

3. February 7, 2018 / 10:54 am

Oh my MOUSES she’s a cutie. Just look at that face! Clearly, she loves the camera and the camera loves her. And what a trooper she is to have gone through so much and yet still be such a lovin’, playful spark. PURRS.

4. February 7, 2018 / 1:15 pm

Lyla is so cute and she looks very happy in those pics. What an unlucky few episodes. My friend’s little pom puppy also broke her leg jumping down and it was very hard to set. We always feel so bad for our babies when they hurt and yes, a good vet is the best.

• February 8, 2018 / 10:11 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your friend’s pom!! They are not jumpers that is for sure, My mom’s little poodles can jump like crazy and not get hurt.

5. February 7, 2018 / 1:19 pm

She is adorable and I am so sorry to hear about her setbacks but at the same time it was like reading about my Layla who does not like to socialize with other dogs, she will be happy to go to the park but would rather just sit and watch everything, her toys she sometimes plays with and she has lots but she does love kids big time and I think would rather be with them than me LOL. Cats are a no no with her also.

Layla is afraid of storms and like you I put a t-shirt on her which calms her plus a drop of CBD oil. I also spray her bed during the day with lavender which really helps her relax.

I wish the two of them could meet as it would be interesting.

• February 8, 2018 / 10:24 pm

LOL yes! Lyla also is not a fan of cats. She tolerates them if they stay within 10 feet of her MOL! I just adore your Layla. It seems our pups have a lot in common – other than the kiddos lol.
      CBD is amazing isn’t it!
      I do also use lavender which helps but I do need to get more CBD oil SOON.
      I wish they could meet too. I can’t bring Lyla to BlogPaws – she could not handle the stress.

6. February 7, 2018 / 1:29 pm

Aw she’s a papillon/pom mix? My older dog is a papillon! Paps are such amazing dogs. I’m sorry to hear your sweet Lyla has had some bumps to get over but she looks so happy in her pictures 🙂 She is just adorable and I hope it’s smooth sailing for her here on out <3

• February 8, 2018 / 5:34 pm

They are just the sweetest aren’t they!? Thank you she did have a rough start but she knows she is so very loved.

7. February 7, 2018 / 2:56 pm

OMG. That dog attack must have been terrifying. I’m glad she’s OK. Mr. N also had a leg fracture as a puppy although in his case, he was stepped on. Lyla looks so cute riding on the lawnmower!

• February 8, 2018 / 10:41 pm

It was so terrifying! Aweee poor Mr. N. You know I just love him! Thank you the lawnmower rides are one of Lyla’s favorite things.

8. February 7, 2018 / 3:01 pm

Oh, that must have been so scary for everyone when the Mastiff had Lyla pinned! I’m glad that she is okay. It seems so strange that her fur grew back in that one spot.

• February 8, 2018 / 11:53 pm

It was terribly frightening for sure. I know right? We were surprised by that!

9. February 7, 2018 / 4:10 pm

OGM I am so sorry about the issue with the Mastiff – that must have been horrific for you both……I am glad you were calm and cool about it and that the neighbors were also responsible about it…….glad she is A-OK! She is a beautiful baby!!!!!

• February 8, 2018 / 11:55 pm

It was horrifying indeed. To see our tiny baby and that huge Mastiff. Thank you she is such a sweetie.

10. February 7, 2018 / 7:29 pm

What a sweet girls who’s gone through so much! Truffle and Brulee also like our ceiling to floor windows. I would have been horrified seeing the Mastiff over sweet Lyla and am not sure I could have been as calm as you were about it with the neighbors. Thank you for sharing her story.

• February 8, 2018 / 11:58 pm

Thank you for reading her story. Oh indeed our kitties love the floor to ceiling too. We put their cat tree by a window so they can stare at the birds haha. Give some love to your Truffle and Brulee for me. They are so precious!

11. February 7, 2018 / 9:21 pm

Thanks for introducing us to Lyla and sharing her story! She’s is adorable and such a sweetheart! Happy-Go-Doodle loves carrots. I’ll have to try freezing them…and peas too!

• February 8, 2018 / 11:59 pm

Ohhh yes it makes it more of a special treat especially in the hot months. I hope Chole loves it too.

12. February 7, 2018 / 9:32 pm

Lyla is very cute and one lucky dog! I’m sorry to hear about all her injuries! I guess it’s very hard with little dogs since they are so delicate, but they think they are big.

13. February 7, 2018 / 9:34 pm

Lyla is one very special dog. What a sweet tribute post to her. Reading the backstory up to the present I can see the love there. She is one precious spoiled little lady and is the light of your life. Would you have it any other way??

14. February 8, 2018 / 11:15 am

It so sucks when the little ones get hurt or sick. I hate nothing more. They are resilient, though, and love helps conquer all.

• February 8, 2018 / 10:40 pm

Indeed Jana! It does suck because they can’t tell us what they want or need. It’s such a helpless feeling. They are resilient you are right and they get all the love we can give them.