Home » Pet Profile » Profile: Pumpkin, The Cat That Came Back

I have decided to formally introduce you all to our furkids and extended fur family over the next several months.

In deciding which of our loves to start with I figured it was only right to feature Pumpkin since it is October after all.

Pet Profile Pumpkin:

Pet Profile Pumpkin

This is Pumpkin.

She is our youngest furkid.

Pumpkin’s story is actually quite interesting.

At the time she came around we already had three dogs and four cats.

She was always on our front patio, crying to come inside. ]

She tried to run into our house every time we came home.

We gave her tons of love and made her a kitty city on our front patio out of styrofoam coolers, lots of blankets, and plenty of food and water.

She was essentially spoiled before she even became “ours”.

We noticed that she would trek back and forth between our home and one other which was across a busy street.

Every time I watched her go from my home to the other I cringed, praying she would make it across the street safely.

I watched this process for over two months and realized no one at the house was caring for her.

She was not being let inside, nor was she being paid attention to outside, nor was she being fed or watered.

Then I realized it was not that house she was going to, but into the field next to the home!

Pumpkin was a huntress!

I always called her the “wildcat” and not just because she was a stray.

You could tell by her personality, and even her look, that she had a little bit of a wild side.

Eventually, it turned bitterly cold, way too cold for sweet Pumpkin to be left outside, even with her warm blankets and her kitty city.

Her attempts to get in where more frequent and her crying was intolerable.

I felt terrible for her. We let her in.

Pet Profile Pumpkin

We loved her so very much but at the time we lived in a much smaller home and we were very overcrowded.

In addition, our neighbor lady was literally a cat hoarder.

We were in a constant struggle to find homes, and get veterinarian care for the sickly cats that were forever coming and going from her house.

That is an entirely different story, but it did have an effect on our finances, and our emotions.

We decided since Pumpkin had only been “our cat” and inside the home for a few weeks that we would try to find her own nice home of her own.

In a short time, we found a lovely couple that wanted to take her in.

We had a firm agreement that if for any reason they could not keep her that they would let us know.

There was security in knowing they would live up to their agreement since they rented a home from my mother and had been long time occupants.

The days following giving Pumpkin away I was torn apart!

I literally cried about missing her.

It felt like I had given up a child! I wondered if she felt unwanted, unloved if she liked her new home.

It all left me with an intense sense of guilt and shame.

Pet Profile Pumpkin
One of my favorite photos of Pumpkin.

Then it all changed:

Within only a short couple weeks we received a call.

The couple that adopted Pumpkin said that Pumpkin was a terror!

That she was reaping havoc with their other pets.

Scratching everything to pieces, and that they felt she hated them!

This was not the Pumpkin I knew!

I could not have been more overjoyed!

Seriously I was thankful that Pumpkin had been so bad!

We went straight over to retrieve my furbaby!

Pumpkin was back home!

Never did she do any of the things the couple said she did at their home.

She is a lively cat and has a wild side but she is good to our other pets.

With exception of Tibet perhaps, who is mean to her so Pumpkin at times will defend herself, but Pumpkin was and is a sweetheart!

Finally, our home was whole again.

Pet Profile Pumpkin

I will never give up a pet again.

Even if I have only had it a few days.

I admire those who can rescue animals and let go of them to other homes.

I know now, I am not capable of that.

Now that we live out of the city we do not have the feral or stray cat issue we once did.

I am thankful for that as I know pets need vet care that can be expensive!

I also know that a home can only be home to so many animals before the pets become territorial and feel overcrowded themselves.

Pumpkin loves her home with us, she has her best friend, her “boyfriend” Nub who she cuddles with all of the time.

We love her spunky, sometimes wild, personality, and she is the best cuddler to us as well.

Pet Profile Pumpkin

20 Facts About Pumpkin:

1. She was named for the time of year she began to come around, and her orange nose.

2. Her best “boyfriend” is Nub.

3. She has the most beautiful markings that make her look like a wildcat.

4. She has super pointy ears.

5. She has a sensitive tummy and will only eat high-quality foods.

6. She has never been sick.

7. She can scale a 7-foot tall cat tree in a second flat! She is a climber!

8. She asks for the least amount of treats of all our pets.

9. Pumpkin will gently put her paw directly on our faces when she wants attention at night.

10. She mews loudly for attention.

11. She loves to be on the highest rung of the cat tree.

12. She is the only pet we have that has no interest in getting outside!

13. She is the messiest cat when using the litter box!

14. She is also known as Pumpkin Butters or just Butters.

15. She is about 5 years old.

16. She will only sit on one side of the sofa, and whoever is sitting on that side gets sat on.

17. She is not very graceful when jumping down from a high place. She lands with a thud!

18. She looks beautiful in the sunlight. Her colors really stand out and her eyes glow.

19. Pumpkin loves to cuddle at night but only after being petted for 15 minutes!

20. She is very demanding.

Pet Profile Pumpkin
Another favorite photo of Pumpkin.

Our pets are more than pets.

They are our family, our furkids.

I know those of you who have pets all feel the same way.

Please Comment! I would love to hear about your furbabies too!

A Sad Update: Our sweet little Pumpkin is no longer with us.

Pet Profile Pumpkin

1. February 16, 2018 / 4:39 am

What a beautiful story and loved getting to know Pumpkin. Animals are very smart and know where they want to be. I knew things would never work out with that couple, she would make sure of that, and Pumpkin and I both knew she would end up in her forever home…yours!

• February 17, 2018 / 12:08 am

Thank you so much Hindy. I still feel so sad that she ever thought I could live without her. I was so crushed when she was away from me. She was smarter than I was that is for sure!

2. February 16, 2018 / 9:57 am

Pumpkin rocked at life in general. She was blessed to have you and right now, she is being her adorableness self in Heaven….just as awesome as ever!

• February 17, 2018 / 12:14 am

Awee thank you Kristen you are so right – she was amazing! Big hugs and thank you for making me smile.

3. February 16, 2018 / 11:42 am

Pumpkin knew exactly where she belonged and she made sure everyone knew! Thank you so much for saving this beautiful girl off of the streets.

• February 17, 2018 / 12:16 am

Thank you so much for that! She sure was a smart kitty and dearly missed.

4. February 16, 2018 / 12:23 pm

Pumpkin is such an adorable kitty. It sounds as if she definitely chose you!

5. February 16, 2018 / 1:27 pm

Aww! I love this story. Thank you for welcoming Pumpkin into your home and giving her a loving home! I can totally understand about your guilt about having her go into another home. Thank you for sharing this story 🙂

• February 17, 2018 / 12:17 am

Thank you so very much Bryn. I still feel bad about that whole ordeal at times. I am so glad she came back to us and had a wonderful live even if too short.

6. February 16, 2018 / 4:47 pm

Pumpkin knew exactly where she wanted to be! Mr. N is the same way. He was a minor holy terror the last time he stayed with a friend. He was not happy about being away.

• February 17, 2018 / 12:19 am

Pets are super intelligent aren’t they! Sometimes I think more so than us.

7. February 16, 2018 / 6:51 pm

Aw…. sorry she is no longer with you. But I am glad I got to read her story. Always like “extra” personality pets!

• February 17, 2018 / 12:22 am

Thank you so much Sonja. We miss her every day. Pets are simply amazing and have such personalities and characters.

8. February 16, 2018 / 9:00 pm

Pumpkin found her home where she knew she would be spoiled and loved and did not want anyone else and was blessed that you opened your house and heart to her. Run free over the Rainbow Bridge Pumpkin

• February 17, 2018 / 12:11 am

Thank you so very much Ruth. I still miss her every single day. I miss every pet we have had that has crossed over. I know you totally get that feeling.

9. February 17, 2018 / 7:53 am

I love that Pumpkin chose you and she had a wonderful and loving home with you. There is nothing better than making a difference in a life- yours and hers.

• February 17, 2018 / 10:59 pm

Thank you so much Heather. Sweet Pumpkin sure left her pawprints in our hearts.

10. February 17, 2018 / 9:44 am

Beautiful Pumpkin, you knew where your forever home was and you made sure that you we going to be staying there! Such beautiful colouring and eyes.

• February 17, 2018 / 10:59 pm

Thank you so much Michelle. She truly was a gorgeous kitty. She is dearly missed.

11. February 17, 2018 / 11:13 am

I’m glad that Pumpkin made her way back home to be with you. She sounds like she was the perfect fit for your family and vice versa.

12. February 17, 2018 / 1:38 pm

She looks so happy now. That’s all it is about; happy faces. Cookie is so happy every morning to wake up and realize she is still here with us.

• February 17, 2018 / 11:01 pm

Aweee give Cookie some cuddles for me please. She sounds like a sweet one!

13. February 17, 2018 / 3:04 pm

What a great story, I love this! Clearly Pumpkin chose YOU to be her family and would not settle for anything else. Sometimes they choose US and we must abide by that.
    Love & Biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

• February 17, 2018 / 11:02 pm

Indeed she was one smart kitty! She was so very loved and adored. I miss her every day.

14. February 17, 2018 / 9:20 pm

Aww this reminds me of my fur babies Precious and Dusty. Your Pumpkin looks very similar to my first cat Precious. Such a diva and loved attention like your Pumpkin. I totally believe it about her wreaking havoc at the other home. She knew that wasn’t HOME. Home was with you hands down. I swear our furbabies are so smart and know us better than we know ourselves. Pumpkin such a sweetie.

• February 17, 2018 / 11:04 pm

Haha it sounds like they were twins! Animals are so smart and intuitive. I knew it was not right letting her go and I felt it in my gut the moment I let her leave us. So glad she forced her way back, not that it was difficult. The second I hear they didn’t want her, we zoomed over there. I tried my best not to let my smile show to the other people too much.

15. February 18, 2018 / 10:55 am

Pumpkin’s decision to wreak havoc with that other family was clearly a strategic one! Cats are smart like that. I’m glad she found her furrever home with you.

• February 19, 2018 / 5:19 pm

haha indeed Irene you are correct! Pumpkin was a smart cookie!
      I am so glad she found her way back to us.

16. February 18, 2018 / 3:57 pm

What wonderful story reading about Pumpkin. I, like you, would be a terrible foster because I would want to keep them all! (This is from a mom of five Siberian Huskies, one feral kitty, and a stray)! Pumpkin is so beautiful. I could feel your heartbreak at finding her a new home. I did this once…only once…with a dog long ago, only to call and beg for her back after a weekend (I did get her back until she passed at 13)! Fosters parents I admire so, but then again, us foster *fails* are pretty cool, too! Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful Pumpkin and this story with us.

• February 19, 2018 / 4:33 pm

Thank you so much Dorothy.
      You have a houseful there but I totally understand why!
      Yes we are “failures” but that’s okay!
      I am glad you begged for your doggie back!
      I know she was too.

17. February 18, 2018 / 10:14 pm

Pumpkin knew when she had found her forever home.

Right after Brulee came to live with us, I received a phone call from my next door neighbors about two black kittens that were outside my house. He said they wanted to come in and were very friendly, but his mother is extremely allergic. I came outside and they came right to me. I was afraid to touch them or bring them inside because Brulee hadn’t had all her shots yet. I did set up a warm place in an outside building with food, water, and blankets. No shelter would take them in.They were so friendly, so I know someone dropped them off. Thankfully, within a few days, we found someone to take them.

• February 19, 2018 / 5:24 pm

Aweee poor sweet kitties! I am SO glad they found YOU to find them a home!
      They knew you were a good person!
      It is so sad no shelter would take them.
      Thank you so much for being such a wonderful person to do that!

18. February 19, 2018 / 11:56 pm

Pumpkin is beautiful! I believe animals come into our lives for reasons beyond our comprehension. Pumpkin was meant to be yours even before she was born. ❤️

• February 20, 2018 / 1:38 pm

Thank you so much – she was the sweetest kitty ever!
      I agree with you – she was indeed and will always be our angel.