Valentine’s Day is approaching.

For those who are single at this time, it can be a lonely time of the year.

Red boxes of candy, flowers and teddy bears seem to stalk your every step.

10 Ways To Enjoy Being Single On Valentine's Day
Disclosure: Affiliate links are used in this article. Using them is no added cost to you but can earn me a small commission for operating expenses. Thank you!

You are never more aware of the fact that you are alone, however, there is a distinct difference between being alone and being lonely.

In fact, some of the loneliest people I know are married.

Being in a relationship does not necessarily mean you are fulfilled.

Instead of being focused on your relationship status, or lack thereof, do something special for yourself because as the saying goes: You first have to love yourself before you can love anybody else.

You Can Enjoy Being Single On Valentine’s Day!

10 Ways To Enjoy Being Single On Valentine's Day

How To Enjoy Being Single On Valentine’s Day:

1. Treat yourself to a full body massage at a local spa.

2. Have friends over for a romantic comedy movie night with your favorite drinks and snacks.

3. Cuddle your pets if you have any. If you do not have any and think you are ready for a furry friend why not adopt a pet at your local shelter! There is absolutely nothing better than the cuddles of a pup or the purrs of a kitty! Both will keep you warm at night. Remember owning a pet is a great responbility so be sure you are ready before adopting.

4. Indulge in a makeover, and a few new items for your wardrobe and go out. There is no need to sit at home alone. Go out feeling confident about your new look, there is nothing sexier than a confident woman.

5. Take time to get closure on past relationships starting at the beginning. Write a short note to your past loves, even that grade school sweetheart that used to poke you in the back during class. You do not have to send them, just do it for yourself. You may find patterns in the partners you have chosen and be able to make better choices in the future.

Sounding good so far?

Keep reading for 5 more great ideas plus a bonus idea!

10 Ways To Enjoy Being Single On Valentine's Day

More Great Ideas So You Can Enjoy Being Single On Valentine’s Day:

6. If you really do love those heart-shaped boxes of candy, teddy bears with tee shirts that say cute little things on them, and all that Valentines jazz, then, by all means, buy some for yourself! There is no shame in getting yourself something that says, “I love you”.  I enjoy going to the shops right after the holiday has passed to get the best deals plus I get twice as many goodies as my friends who waited for someone to buy it for them. Besides, I know I prefer the cream filled chocolates!

7. Make yourself a mixed CD of your favorite songs particularly songs not about love and romance. A good dance mix or fun lively music is best to lift your mood.

8. Join a fruit, book or one of many “of the month clubs”. When you receive your monthly goodies you can have a reminder of where you were at in your life when you purchased it. This is a good way to affirm positive changes in your life when you are no longer single or to remind yourself that no one particular month is dedicated to love and romance but every month, every moment is a moment to appreciate and love yourself.

9. Write a list of the positive things about being single. There are many positives to being on your own from being able to decorate any way you choose, to being able to go out as late as you want with friends, to not having to worry if you look perfect all the time. Some of the items on your list may be a stretch, but it does help to showcase the positives no matter how silly they may be. You may give yourself a few good laughs writing the list.

10. Remember it is only one day of the year. You are no less important because you do not have a special someone on this one day. As soon as the candy and stuffed bears are removed from the shelves the Easter baskets and colored grass will replace it and Valentines Day will be nothing more than a faded memory.

Enjoy Being Single On Valentine’s Day With This Bonus Idea:

This is my favorite…buy yourself a giant bouquet of flowers!

10 Ways To Enjoy Being Single On Valentine's Day

I have always tried to keep fresh flowers in my home.

There should be no qualms about buying flowers for yourself on Valentine’s Day or any day.

I like to remind everyone that Valentine’s Day can be about our love for anyone, not just a significant other.

Friends, family, even your neighbors.

It’s a wonderful time to show we care.

If you are single, how do you enjoy Valentine’s Day?

If you are not single do you recall how you celebrated love on this special day when you were single?

Please let me know in the comments below or share your favorite on the list.

1. January 22, 2018 / 3:00 pm

I’m married now and enjoy our romantic Valentine’s Days, but I also loved to celebrate “Galentine’s Day” with friends when I was single. Hanging with your girlfriends is so much fun! I love all of these self-love ideas, too.

2. January 22, 2018 / 5:40 pm

I don’t celebrate this, single or married. 😀 So I can’t say much…but you listed a great list of things to do, not just for a particular day but for any day! 🙂

• January 23, 2018 / 11:53 am

Thank you Marie and I think it is perfectly fine NOT to celebrate too!

3. January 22, 2018 / 5:54 pm

I use Valentine’s Day or the days leading up to it as a way to treat myself. Maybe a nice spa date or getting a professional mani. Last year I went out to bar with a group of friends and we listened to people read fanfiction they found on the Internet. It was so much fun.

• January 23, 2018 / 11:54 am

That sounds like a great time Aitza! Days like this should be as much about celebrating friendships as anything else!

4. January 22, 2018 / 6:37 pm

I have been married for almost 20 years and we haven’t celebrated Valentines Day in about ten of those years. We did back when we were dating, we would go out and give each other gifts. Now, we do things for each other when we feel like it. BUT I can see why these are great suggestions. If I were single, I would probably enjoy the day as something special.

• January 23, 2018 / 11:55 am

I hear you Jenn. After awhile we start to do things more frequently and know each other so much better. I think it would still be romantic to sort of “go back in time” and have an all out Valentine’s Day though.

5. lisalisa
    January 22, 2018 / 7:21 pm

Yes, I love this post! We don’t celebrate Valentines Day anymore we leave it to the younger kids and their spouse but, I love the suggestion you have listed. It’s all about making it special for you , I would surely do the spa thing.

• January 23, 2018 / 12:20 pm

Thank you so much! I am glad you liked my ideas and maybe this year you and your significant other could do the spa thing together! You deserve it!

6. NYC Single Mom
    January 23, 2018 / 3:54 am

I am single and I dont really give Valentine’s Day that much thought but I LOVE the idea of treating myself. So Thank you for the list because I am going to treat myself to a mani/pedi and maybe a massage!!

7. Ronnie
    January 23, 2018 / 7:02 am

What you said is spot on – some relationships are actually very lonely, especially as time goes by. I love my partner but we are both people that require a lot of space, so even though we’re together, we can be worlds apart most of the time. Valentine’s Day can be about loving and appreciating ourselves instead.. I’ll treat myself to something, too.

• January 23, 2018 / 12:21 pm

Ronnie I am SO happy to hear you will celebrate YOU on Valentine’s Day! Although we should celebrate ourselves every day let’s face it – we are simply too busy. May as well take this one day of the year to do it. Enjoy!

8. January 23, 2018 / 2:05 pm

I like the idea of buying yourself a bouquet of flowers. I have always been the kind of person who picks up flowers when I want them as an addition to a look I am going for in my home. There is nothing wrong with waiting for the right one to bring you some flowers when he can and not settling for less. That is something to celebrate for sure!

• January 23, 2018 / 7:10 pm

Indeed I agree and I am glad you keep flowers in your home often. They just really brighten things up.

9. Jeanine
    January 23, 2018 / 5:06 pm

I remember being single on Valentine’s Day and it wasn’t ever bad. I’d hang out with friends or pamper myself. It was actually quite enjoyable! Why not celebrate and enjoy the day! You don’t need someone else there to enjoy it!

• January 23, 2018 / 7:12 pm

Indeed it sure can be and I am so glad you had fun and pampered yourself!!

10. January 23, 2018 / 10:25 pm

Treating myself to a body massage and a mani and pedi sounds amazing right about now. I love the idea of taking this day to treat yourself. What a great list you’ve made!