Home » empowerment » Courage: 2018 Word Of The Year

Last year it was easy to pick my Word Of The Year.

It was “Inspire” and you can read why I selected it last year.

This year selecting my Word Of The Year was really difficult.

My Word Of The Year For 2018 Is:

Courage

noun

the ability to do something that frightens one.
“she called on all her courage to face the ordeal”
strength in the face of pain or grief.
“he fought his illness with great courage”

Some other words I considered were:

Patience

Humble

Action

Character

Independence

Those are some good choices, right?

Why I decided On Courage For My Word Of The Year:

I realized, no matter what word above that I may have selected, all of them take courage.

It takes courage to take action.

To be truly independent we need it.

Sometimes, it even takes courage to be humble or have patience.

In order to live in good character we often need to draw from it.

When I looked good and hard at all the great reasons to use any of these other Word Of The Year words, I kept coming back to courage.

Also, as someone who loves history, I admire those from our past who have shown great acts of courage.

It’s Not Just About Being Strong

The first thought that will come to many minds when they hear the word courage is strength.

I imagine a woman standing on some mountain top, wearing a cape, with her arm bent to show her muscle.

Sometimes, it takes courage to be meek.

For others, it is about breaking free of things that hold us back.

Especially if you are not generally the meek type.

It’s what gets us through fear.

Life is hard.

Yet, it isn’t just the wealthiest, nor the smartest, or even the strongest that wins.

It’s those who have the courage and push through, no matter what barriers placed in front of them.

Courage Takes All Forms

A child can show it facing a bully in the schoolyard.

It can come through a mother with a premature baby to care for.

For some, it is facing our own truths.

We all have something going on in our lives that begs of us to pull from courage.

The question is: Will You?

Will you use it to push through your obstacles this year?

I will.

Funny side story…

I was still not 100% sure about using courage as my word this year.

Upon coming home from a quick trip to the store I enter my house and guess what was on the television…

The Wizzard of Oz.

And guess who was on at that very moment…

The cowardly lion!

Yup, at that point my word of the year was pretty much nailed down.

You will be seeing enlightenment and empowerment articles through the year about courage.

Messages will show up in other articles as well when it fits into the theme.

Courage

Why Have A Word Of The Year?

Having a word of the year can help us in many ways.

It can support us emotionally, keep us on track, and guide us.

I like to collect things that have my word of the year on it such as coffee mugs and wall decor.

Totally loving this wall hanging from Sweet Bird and Company on Amazon:

Courage

I may buy this or I may DIY one similar.

Every time I am feeling afraid that I can not achieve something I will look to my word of the year.

When I am feeling tired, beaten, weak, or incapable, my word of the year will remind me to keep pushing forward.

Courage

Do you have a word of the year?

I would love to hear what it is and why you choose it.

What do you think about “Courage” as a word of the year?

Drop me a message below!

1. Candy
    January 1, 2018 / 12:05 pm

Courage does come in many forms. Courage does take action. Like your choice of words for 2018

2. January 1, 2018 / 2:40 pm

I really like your word! It’s so important to have courage. I need to come up with a word!

• January 2, 2018 / 10:14 pm

Oh Amber I love having a word of the year. Let me know if you decide on one I want to come read about it!

3. January 1, 2018 / 10:20 pm

Courage is a really good word. I’ve been thinking about my word and I keep going to the word foundation. I need to go back to the basics and operate from that place.

• January 2, 2018 / 10:14 pm

I LOVE the word Foundation for a word of the year! Great choice Mimi and thank you for the compliment on mine.

4. January 1, 2018 / 10:35 pm

This is a great word of the year. I need more courage for SURE! LOL!

• January 2, 2018 / 10:14 pm

LOL thank you Ricci. I think we can all use a little extra courage now and then.

5. January 2, 2018 / 6:53 am

I love this idea of picking one word to exercise though out the year. Courage is good, I personally have a lot to work on when it comes to courage.

• January 3, 2018 / 6:56 pm

Oh I do too trust me lol. Its a work in action every day to get better at it.

6. January 2, 2018 / 8:37 am

I don’t have a word of the year but I think courage should have been my word last year. I think I will make it official and use it this year. I’ve been finding courage in so many things that I didn’t realize I had.

• January 3, 2018 / 6:58 pm

So good to hear Terri and I love that you will be using it as well. For me I have a long way to come before I feel I have really worked it out but it’s there and I think of it daily and put it into action. I am so glad that you are finding courage in your path.

7. January 2, 2018 / 1:11 pm

I absolutely love the word “Courage” for this new year! My word for this year is “BRAVE” Last year ripped me apart, so this year will be my rebirth, and to do that I need to be brave. Happy new year to you and yours!

• January 3, 2018 / 6:59 pm

I love your word of the year Jasmine!! I almost selected Brave myself!! I have had a really rough end of 2017 to say the least so that is why I chose Courage. I am sorry for whatever you went though and I am glad you are working toward being BRAVE!

8. January 2, 2018 / 3:12 pm

Courage is a great word of the year! We all need to have a little more courage at times.

9. January 4, 2018 / 10:08 am

This is wonderful! Courage goes with everything that is going on now. The “Me Too” movement takes courage. People speaking out against racism and white supremacy takes courage. Women marching on Washington takes courage. Sometimes I feel like we’re going backwards in time. I remember the Vietnam war and all the protests and marches that were going on then. I think people are finally finding the courage to speak out against injustice. Your word of the year fits perfectly!

• January 4, 2018 / 2:57 pm

Gisele you nailed it! I so agree with you! You also made a very good point about how it feels we are going back in time! I am so glad you like my word of the year!! Thank you!