Ah a new year, a new beginning.

Or, not.

A new year can just be another chance to make the same mistakes.

Or in the case of having a great prior year a chance to do good all over again.

One thing that I think should come somewhere before or after the resolutions, goals, word of the year, quote of the year and so on is defining oneself.

Sitting back, and giving some real in-depth thought to just who we are.

Take Time To Define Yourself:

Define Yourself

I have an about me page on the blog and a bio on the right-hand sidebar.

Often I have to write out a short bio or about me for other media outlets.

Doing this is always a challenge because more often than not I am bound by a word or character limit.

Being pithy has never been a strong point of mine.

Just how much or how little one says about themselves can mean a lot.

I think that even if you do not have a need to write a bio, it’s a good idea to take some time and write the story of you.

Writing things down about yourself can lead toward insight you may not already have.

Just the other day I realized something about myself…

Define Yourself By Admitting What You No Longer Enjoy:

I have said many times, in many bios, interviews, and media profiles that I enjoy reading.

Yet the truth is,  I rarely make the time to read a book.

Define Yourself

I do love books.

I love libraries.

Heck, I used to work in one!

Images of gorgeous home libraries on Instagram with rich wood shelves and leather bound books galore excites me.

I even love the smell of old musty books.

The truth is I love the idea of books.

Yet reading, not so much, at least not anymore.

It’s not that I do not appreciate a great story.

Just right now, at this time in my life, there are other things I would rather put that time into.

Define Yourself By Being Specific:

Have you ever noticed when people say, or list what interests them that they are very generic?

“I enjoy reading”, or “I am into the outdoors” for example.

Even in my sidebar bio, I say I adore nature.

The fact is we could get far more detailed.

By being more detailed we give deeper insight into who we are.

Granted, there is limited room on a blog sidebar bio to express oneself.

Perhaps we do not want to express to the entire world what exactly we enjoy reading or doing outside.

Yet by writing it down, even if only for yourself, it surely can help to define who you are to the most important person, YOU.

Try stating your interests in detail.

Instead of stating: “I enjoy reading” perhaps you could say “I enjoy reading historical fiction during the 1500’s.”

If you would normally say “I love watching movies” perhaps you could state that enjoy watching sci-fi or romantic comedies.

Define Yourself

Define Yourself By Taking Stock:

I have been taking quite a bit of time over the past two weeks to redefine myself.

Sometimes we change as people, sometimes people change us.

Other times, circumstances and life experiences shift who we are.

These changes can be both positive and negative.

That is why it is important to always be working on taking stock of the person we have become, and are becoming.

It is good to recognize where we are at in the now.

To ask ourselves if the person we are in the moment is the person we want to be.

If the person we are putting outward to the world is due to our own choices, or outside influences.

When Defining Yourself Always Write It Down:

The main advice I can give having worked with clients on defining themselves through life coaching is to always write it down.

I guide my clients to spend as many days as they need thinking about this topic.

Taking notes here and there if they need help remembering details.

Ultimately, however, writing things down is necessary.

There is something to be said about putting pen to paper.

There is some kind of spiritual transformation that happens when we write.

In addition, when we read what we have written, it’s impacting.

This is why so many people take up journaling.

Writing out our own personal “road map” if you will, helps us stay on track, and remain accountable.

Define Yourself

If you think about it, writing a roadmap is not too far different from the idea of a vision board.

I recently wrote about these in depth as well which you can check out using the link above.

The vision board uses images and here I am asking you to use words.

Vision boards are more generalized usually showcasing an idea.

Writing your personal roadmap can get down to the real nitty-gritty.

The Point Of Defining Yourself:

So why bother with any of this?

I honestly believe we lose ourselves so easily in the hustle of today’s society.

Between social media and ads hitting us square in the face from left and right we need to appreciate our own minds.

From the opinions of others, for that matter even blogs like my own, we often forget our own opinions, beliefs, and ideals.

Self-evaluation is key to being the person we want to be.

Whether we are happy with who we are or want to become a better version of ourselves, without reflection and a roadmap, it’s easy to lose our way.

When we do falter it is good to have our plan written out, in our own handwriting, and our own words.

This will remind us where we got off track and how to get right back on it.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Perhaps you already journal or have a different way in which you define yourself.

Please leave me a comment and share your ideas and thoughts.

1. January 16, 2018 / 1:07 pm

This is a great idea! I used to keep a journal but stopped because I have so many from years past. I don’t think too much about who I am now since I’m no longer in an office working for my bosses daughter. Too many people define themselves by their jobs instead of who they really are. Someone working at WalMart is no different that a CPA or Attorney. We’re all equal. Sadly people look down on those working at stores and doing manual labor. After sitting on my bum for 30 years working in finance, I’d love to do some manual labor.

• January 16, 2018 / 9:53 pm

That is so true about people defining themselves by their work! I also love what you said about everyone being equal!! I think manual labor would be great for anyone who has worked sitting – myself included!!

2. January 16, 2018 / 1:50 pm

Oh my gosh, I love this blog post so much. This is something I have been considering for a long time. Making the correct changes can not happen for me until i confess how much i have changed, and finding that is not as easy as it sounds. These are very encouraging steps.

• January 16, 2018 / 9:54 pm

Exactly Jenn! We have to realize it is OKAy that we have changed and stop forcing ourselves to be that former version of ourselves. I am so happy you loved this post. Thank you!!

3. January 16, 2018 / 9:03 pm

I love this post so much! I have declared 2018 to be the year of change. I no longer want to just do things because. I want to do things that matter.

• January 16, 2018 / 9:59 pm

Thank you so much Leah! It meant a lot to me to write it. We tend to get on Auto-Pilot and forget we do not have to do what we once did and change is not only okay but the way life works! I also want to do things that matter and I love that this is your year of CHANGE! Change is GOOD!

4. January 16, 2018 / 10:42 pm

I was just thinking about this topic. My birthday is tomorrow and I am trying to think of things to focus on for my 35th year. I think I want to write more about ME>

• January 17, 2018 / 12:18 am

Cenise I hope you have an amazing birthday!! I know I would love to read more about YOU! They, whoever “they” are haha say to write what you know best. We should know ourselves best but sometimes writing is a great way to learn more about ourselves while sharing with others.

5. January 17, 2018 / 8:03 am

I needed to read this post, without actually knowing that I needed to! I really need to revamp my Blog bio, especially since so much has changed in my life in the last few years!

• January 17, 2018 / 10:11 pm

I am so glad it has inspired you to do that! I need to revamp mine as well!

6. January 17, 2018 / 2:24 pm

I’m really glad I found this post…very used for me at the moment and some really great advice..thanks!

• January 17, 2018 / 10:11 pm

Thank you Anna I am so glad you found it too and I really do hope it has inspired you.

7. January 17, 2018 / 2:50 pm

I love your little graphic with the words in the head… I think coming up with a word collage is a great way to define yourself. I can’t decide whether I really know myself or not. That might sound weird but I feel like I’ve changed so much since becoming a mother, sometimes a confuse the old me and the new me. I could defo do with a little reflection and running through some of these exercises… better mental health is on my agenda for 2018!

• January 17, 2018 / 10:19 pm

Thank you so much Katherine! Hey don’t worry about not being sure – you have a lot going on and becoming a mother is a HUGE thing in life! There were times when my kids were little that I don’t know if there WAS a “me” lol. I am 48 with young adult kids and I am just now starting over with defining myself due to some undesired life changes. I will be writing about that soon, when I feel ready to do so. These exercises though – they DO help so I am glad you are going to give it a try!

8. January 17, 2018 / 3:51 pm

Looking back at your year, it is a good thing to evaluate your successes and access your new plan of action or continue with what you’re happy doing. Defining yourself and what makes you unique would help you on many levels, whether you need to make new changes or give yourself a confidence boost. You should always strive to be the best of yourself that you can be.

9. January 17, 2018 / 5:25 pm

Ohhh I would have loved to have your job, like you I love books…sometimes not to read them, I just love them, period. I love libraries, to be in awe especially of the older ones. 😀 Being I also enjoy writing, I keep a journal but rarely write on it now, thanks…I will surely put in a lot on it this year! I have a number of blogs where I write about many things but I think a real journal is still more special. 🙂

• January 17, 2018 / 10:08 pm

Thank you Marie! I do often think about getting a volunteer job at the library for fun! LOL at us both loving books but not necessarily reading. I hope you do get back to journaling Marie, it’s so wonderful to do even if just for yourself.

10. January 17, 2018 / 8:51 pm

I started my blog five years ago this month. I just re-read my original “About Me” and had to smile. Then I read the one that is up today and think about the areas that need to be updated. But that’s the cool thing about life, we’re always changing and growing and how we define ourselves definitely evolves over time. Not the essence of who we are, but I don’t have the same life I did when I was in my 20s or 30s. I think I’ll start a little journal to keep with me and every time I think of a defining characteristic about myself or my life I’ll write it down. Thank-you for such a great post and food for thought! x

• January 17, 2018 / 10:27 pm

Happy Blogaversary!!! I hit my five years sometime this year – I need to look! I think in June perhaps.

So glad you are going to start a journal.

I bet it was cool to look back at your first about me.

Mine was nothing more than a blub on my sidebar back in the day.

Thank YOU so much for enjoying the article! I agree with all you said – we evolve so much.