Home » Lifestyle » Year Of The Dog 2018

Alright those who know me had to have known I would blog about this.

2018 is the year of the dog according to the Chinese Zodiac.

The Chinese Zodiac is different from the Western Zodiac.

Instead of sun signs based on the month and date, you were both the Chinese use your year of birth.

It takes twelve years for any animal in the Chinese Zodiac to recirculate.

So, if you were born in 2018 you are a very special type of person…

A Year Of The Dog Person!

Year Of The Dog

Being born during a dog year does not necessarily make you more of a dog lover, or “dog person”.

People born during dog years are known for certain traits, however.

Those born under the sign of the dog in the Chinese Calander are said to be loyal, friendly, faithful, and honest.

They are also known to be hard working, direct, smart, quick learners, and easily liked by others.

That all sounds pretty canine like to me!

Famous People Born Under Dog Years:

Jane Goodall:

Jane Goodall was a British primatologist, ethologist, anthropologist, and UN Messenger of Peace. She is also known for her work with chimpanzees, her animal behavior studies, and her animal activism‎.

Queen Latifah:

Born Dana Elaine Owens, Queen Latifah is an American rapper, songwriter, singer, actress, model, television producer, record producer, and talk show hostess. This lady is a powerhouse! She is also known to be very vocal when it comes to women’s issues and empowerment.

Socrates:

Dog people can take pride in the fact that among them is Socrates, a classical Greek philosopher. Socrates is credited as one of the founders of Western philosophy, and as being the first moral philosopher, of the western ethical tradition of thought.

Dakota Fanning:

I am so excited to see Hannah Dakota Fanning in The Alienist which premieres January 22nd! I do not think I have seen her in anything since she was a child actress, although she is still a young one to me I enjoy her acting very much.

Some of my other Favorite Famous People Who Fall Under The Year Of The Dog:

Kelly Clarkson, Ellen DeGeneres, Madonna, Uma Thermon and Susan Sarandon, and so many more!

My all-time favorite “dog person” is not even famous, my favorite person born under the year of the dog is my daughter.

I was born under a rooster year, how about you?

Year Of The Dog

The actual Chinese New Year Begins On February 16th:

Unlike the New Year in the States, the Chinese New Year starts on different dates each year.

It does always start however between the 21st of January and the 20th of February.

Granted the Year of the Dog may not have anything to do with how much someone loves dogs.

Still, I can’t help but use this as a chance to mention BlogPaws!

If you are an influencer, or blogger, and love animals you won’t want to miss this!

BlogPaws 10th Anniversary Conference in Kansas City Missouri.

This is a perfect location because it is right in the center of the USA.

No one has to travel all the way across the country to get there.

Me, I am one hour away! Yay!

I am also a conference Ambassador and I am deeply honored to be one.

Be sure to get your BlogPaws tickets right away because they do sell out!

Best thing about a BlogPaws Blogger Conference, your pets are always welcome!

Year Of The Dog

Do you know any people born under the sign of the dog?

How would you describe them?

No two people are ever the same and astrology, in my opinion, is a useful tool but not gospel.

I would love to hear what sign you are in the comments – Chinese Zodian or Western!

1. January 17, 2018 / 12:15 pm

Peep #1 is a snake and she likes to think she conforms to the Year of the Snake traits – Well, the nice ones, anyway. As for me, we don’t know in which year I was born as I arrived on the doorstep, already full grown. purrs

• January 17, 2018 / 10:10 pm

Haha that is cool and hey why not only admit to the nice traits! Awee well even if you do not know your animal year we know you are one cool cat!!

2. January 17, 2018 / 12:20 pm

I was born in the Year of the Snake. Not sure what that means about me but I happen to really like snakes, so it’s cool! Love the plug for BlogPaws. It’s going to be an amazing anniversary conference this year!

• January 17, 2018 / 10:13 pm

I love snakes Heather! So many things we have in common! Can’t wait to meet you at BlogPaws!

3. January 17, 2018 / 12:36 pm

I’m an Aquarius and according to Chinese sign born in the year of the Horse. Hmm..I’ll have to look that up. Fun post.

• January 17, 2018 / 10:09 pm

Thank you Kamira! I bet the horse stands for a hard worker! I have to go look it up now too!

4. January 17, 2018 / 12:44 pm

What a fun post. I’m a Rabbit – I’m going to look up the traits and see which ones I have. I can’t wait to see you at BlogPaws! It will be fun being Ambassadors together.

• January 17, 2018 / 10:14 pm

It will be so much fun to meet at BlogPaws!! I am not sure what Rabbit is either but I bet it says something about getting things done fast and being quick on your feet and quick witted! All good stuff of course! So glad we are Ambassadors together! SO EXCITED!

5. January 17, 2018 / 2:01 pm

I love this. My daughter was born in the year of the dog and I’m glad to know she’s in some good company! I was born in the year of the goat – not quite as much fun as a dog, but goats are fun, too. LOL

P.S: Congrats on being chosen as an ambassador!!

• January 17, 2018 / 10:16 pm

Oh she is in good company for sure! Both of our daughters are pawsome folk! Haha you know what, goats are so cool! I know someone who has two of them and also have a blogger friend who has goats. They are so fun, lively, love to watch them frolic as if no care in the world! Thank you also for the congrats! I am very honored and humbled!

6. January 17, 2018 / 3:21 pm

I was born in the year of the Dragon. Mr. N was born in the year of the Rat which is his mortal enemy! Don’t know what that implies.

• January 17, 2018 / 10:20 pm

HAHA my goodness! Maybe he has past life issues to overcome involving rats. OR maybe he is to overcome his distain with them. Heck perhaps he is perfect as is – YES that is it! I love that Mr. N!! Now as for being born in the year of the dragon – that is so cool! I wish I was!

7. January 17, 2018 / 3:46 pm

I was born in the year of the rabbit. I know we’re supposed to be peacemakers, which sounds right to me, but I don’t know anything else about the sign.

• January 17, 2018 / 10:20 pm

Oh that is cool to know! I need to go learn more about each animal! I am even more curious now!!

8. January 17, 2018 / 5:15 pm

Okay well I was born in the year of the rat… how encouraging… hahaha. I loved Dakota Fanning when I was younger, these famous year of the dog people make me happy. But so do dogs, so maybe thats why!

9. January 17, 2018 / 7:04 pm

Ah, awesome. Cookie will be happy to take any excuse to be spoiled more than typically. 😉

• January 17, 2018 / 10:22 pm

Indeed!!! It’s all about them this year and let’s face it – every year lol

10. January 17, 2018 / 7:35 pm

Mom Paula was too old to be in your infographic, so she looked it up and she was born in the Year of the Monkey. The general image of people born in the Year of the Monkey is of always being smart, clever and intelligent, especially in their career and wealth. They are lively, flexible, quick-witted and versatile. In addition, their gentleness and honesty bring them an everlasting love life. Although they were born with enviable skills, they still have several shortcomings, such as an impetuous temper and a tendency to look down upon others.

We (Truffle and Brulee) were born in the year of the Rabbit. People with Chinese zodiac Rabbit sign usually impress others with an image of tenderness, grace and sensitive. They are romantic in relationship, having a high demand in life quality. They avoid arguing with others, and have a capability of converting an enemy into a friend. They are homebody and hospitable, and like house fitting-up. They can work with speed and efficiency, do not insist and get angry easily. But they also like hesitating, which makes them lose many chances.

• January 17, 2018 / 10:25 pm

Oh wow thank you SO much for all this info! I love that you looked it up but I am sorry that Mom Paula’s year was left off. Silly graphics only let me add so much.

Being a Monkey sounds AWESOME! I think I would get along with Mom Paula just pawesomely!

I wish I were more like the Rabbit to be honest. That sounds PURRFECT!
      I do have some of those traits but not enough of them as like the monkey I can be impetuous and have a temper at times.

Thank you SO MUCH for all this information!

11. January 17, 2018 / 11:09 pm

I love all zodiac things! I’m on the cusp of rooster/dog. Technically I’m rooster, since my birthday (January 2) falls in the previous year, but I identify as a dog person! haha!

• January 20, 2018 / 2:44 pm

Ohh happy belated bday!! Haha nice I would claim dog too if I were on the cusp! Rooster is good too though 🙂

12. January 18, 2018 / 12:12 am

What a fun post! I was born in the year of the pig ( I don’t know the traits associated with it are) and my mum was born in the year of the dog. I would say that would accurately describe her.

• January 20, 2018 / 2:46 pm

Thank you so much !! That is awesome that your mum does match her Chinese Zodiac sign!!

13. January 18, 2018 / 12:15 am

Very fun post. Your chart doesn’t go back far enough for me so I had to look it up. I was born in the year of the ox. Congrats on your ambassadorship. I won’t be there again this year as I am just getting back into pet blogging after a bit of a hiatus. Maybe next year!

• January 20, 2018 / 2:47 pm

So sorry I am finding that the chart did not go back far enough for most of us! I should have changed the dates to fit my audience better ( and myself!) lesson learned but know, it’s not just you!
      Thank you so very much on the congrats!
      Oh Ox sounds great! I would think the ox to be strong and capable!
      I hope to see you next year then! I am glad you are getting back to blogging!

14. January 18, 2018 / 8:27 am

What a fun post! I love that you included celebrities born in the year of the dog. (I didn’t know that Dakota Fanning’s first name is Hannah!) I am a Rooster. I just looked up some of the traits and I’d say I fit about half of them. The good ones, right? 🙂

• January 20, 2018 / 2:48 pm

I didn’t know her real first name was Hannah either until I did some research. I love both of her names! So cute!
      Right – absolutely we only fit the good ones lol

15. January 18, 2018 / 1:19 pm

Hmmmm….my year is not listed so that must mean that I am “outdated” already…lol. I will have to do further research. Fun reading.

• January 20, 2018 / 2:51 pm

LOL I could not list as many as I wanted but I never thought about my audience and should have changed the dates entirely! Lesson learned – you are not alone!

16. January 19, 2018 / 1:40 pm

My birth year comes under Rabbit. What are their characteristics?

• January 20, 2018 / 2:52 pm

Oh that is a lovely one! Rabbits are sensitive, often very empathetic, caring, enjoy being with others, and peace loving people. I would be they are super cuddly too!

17. January 20, 2018 / 2:36 pm

Well, I’m a rooster too. I looked up some of the characteristics of the rooster and some are scary. lol This is a great article and it is interesting how many celebrities are “year of the dog” people. It looks like they are all great people too. I’d like to attend the Blog Paws Conference but when I tried to sign up it won’t take our URL. That conference sounds really interesting and since I’m still new to blogging, it would teach me things I don’t know.

• January 20, 2018 / 2:42 pm

Oh no lol well just focus on the positive traits lol. I think we are pretty cool people us Roosters! That is strange about the conference sign up! I hope you will reach out to figure it out. I can absolutely send you some people who can help if you like just email me! fashionbeyondforty (at) gmail (dot) com

18. June 17, 2018 / 6:53 am

Haha I am rabbit, according to Chinese zodiac, it’s really cool, really interesting article like this article…

• June 17, 2018 / 11:41 am

Thank you Prakash! I am so glad you liked it and found your animal.