Home » fashion » How To Make Casual Clothing Stylish – Three Examples

One thing readers often comment on when it comes to fashion is that they prefer casual.

From tees and jeans to yoga pants, mid-life women want comfort.

I agree!

Most of my fashion articles do represent a more laid-back easy-going look.

Now and then I will have a higher style Fashion Focus or What I Am Wearing Today.

However, more often than not, you see my day to day wear is ultimately particle.

The question is – How To Make Casual Clothing Stylish

How To Make Casual Clothing Stylish - Three Examples

Disclosure: Affiliate links are used in this article. While using these links cost you nothing extra, I may earn a small commission to help with blog operating expenses. Thank you.

Laid-back, easy-going, comfortable clothing can easily be styled to look on-trend.

Today I am going to take clothing straight from my own closet and dresser.

Clothing most every woman owns, from jeans, tees, yoga pants, and other regular daily wear items.

For each grouping of items, I will show you how to take each from so-so to do-show!

We will easily make each of these groupings of otherwise bland items look POW with accessories, and adding one or two small details.

Then not only can you dress comfortably, but you will want to be seen and show your looks off!

Make Casual Clothing Stylish, My Selected Items To Upgrade:

I have opted to upgrade the looks of a white blouse, yoga pants, and basic skinny jeans with a tank top.

How To Make Casual Clothing Stylish - Three Examples

I picked these items because I figure they are most likely items most women would have in her wardrobe.

You can apply these principles with any clothing items you have.

Make Casual Clothing Stylish With Simple Accessories:

Make Casual Clothing Stylish: Yoga Pants and A Basic Tee

How To Make Casual Clothing Stylish - Three Examples

As seen above in the before ( left ) and after ( right ) all I have done is add some cute seed bead bracelets from SashkaCo. and a cap.

Adding very small details can make a big difference.

While I do not mind the before look, by adding the cap we are making more of a statement.

Rather than “I am being lazy today” we give off an appearance of “I’m ready for activity today!”

The cute ShaskaCo. bracelets just add a touch of extra color and flair.

Make Casual Clothing Stylish Tank Top And Jeans:

How To Make Casual Clothing Stylish - Three Examples

Above we take two of the most basic wardrobe items and give a bolder, more stylized look.

These skinny jeans and tank top look far more styled with a scarf and a cardigan.

You can wear the cardigan buttoned or open to show more of your tank.

Our final look is an after photo only.

I could have sworn I took a before photo but I evidently failed to do so.

It was actually the first outfit I put on.

By the time I got done with look 3 I just didn’t have the steam left in me to go back and get dressed again.

So sorry.

I Made Casual Clothing Stylish With Just A Bold Necklace:

How To Make Casual Clothing Stylish - Three Examples

I am going to bet you can all imagine this look without the strikingly bold necklace.

It was rather boring and gave me a washed out look.

White can be unforgiving on many complexions.

The colors in the necklace help a lot with that plus gave a nice contrast to the white top paired with colored jeans.

I opted for colored jeans that have a looser fit to keep the look casual and fun.

It’s Easy To Make Casual Clothing Stylish When You Implement A Few Accessories.

This is an excellent look for at work, shopping, or out and about with friends.

It is still completely comfortable although a little less casual.

I wore the same simple golden earrings with all three looks and they worked well for each.

No matter how casual you may enjoy dressing, no matter how comfortable you wish to be, it’s all about accessorizing.

How do you dress up an otherwise laid-back look?

What are your favorite clothing items for daily wear?

I would love to hear about your styling in the comments and if you enjoyed this article, please share.

How To Make Casual Clothing Stylish

1. February 6, 2018 / 10:44 am

I love, love, LOVE this! I’ve never been overly into being stylish unless I had a special event because it seemed like such a hassle. I guess it isn’t!

• February 6, 2018 / 6:43 pm

It really isn’t as long as you just keep it to simple additions. Accessories are easy. We can save a lot of money this way too as they help stretch the items we already have. I am so glad you loved this post Stacie! Thank you so much!

2. February 6, 2018 / 10:48 am

This is a fantastic resource for staying stylish and comfortable. If I can be both, I’m all about it!

• February 6, 2018 / 6:43 pm

Indeed and it’s easy, super affordable to stretch what we have with a few accessories and still comfy 🙂

3. February 6, 2018 / 10:50 am

Thank you so much for sharing this! Who says you have to be frumpy to be comfortable. This is awesome.

• February 6, 2018 / 6:44 pm

Exactly and it does not cost a lot to have some accessories. It actually keeps our wardrobe more affordable by not having to buy as many core pieces!

4. February 6, 2018 / 3:55 pm

Thanks for this post! I always wear jewelry when I go out. The thing I struggle with is scarves. I love them, I just never know what kind or color to get for certain outfits.

• February 6, 2018 / 6:45 pm

Gisele the cool thing about fashion these days is there are no rules! People are intentionally NOT matching as much as matching these days! Play around a bit and you will find what you love!

5. February 6, 2018 / 6:02 pm

These are great examples how to dress up an outfit. Its amazing how a hat or bracelets can change the entire look

• February 6, 2018 / 6:45 pm

Isn’t it though and it makes it more affordable to have more looks when we just use inexpensive accessories.

6. February 6, 2018 / 9:38 pm

I feel like all I own is casual clothing but I love to dress up my outfits with statement necklaces and cute shoes. I don’t really have any “dressy” places to be so this works for me!

• February 8, 2018 / 8:30 pm

I think this is what works for most women too Ricci. Most of us do not have a place to go daily where we need to be all glam. I am so glad you do the same as I do to make something a little more exciting.

7. February 7, 2018 / 12:06 am

Accessories definitely give you so much and it completes your outfit. I love all the tips that you shared here. You don’t need to put in a lot of effort to look stylish!

• February 8, 2018 / 7:35 pm

Thank you Jocelyn that is so nice of you to say! You are right it only takes a few simple things to amp an outfit up.

8. Victoria Heckstall
    February 7, 2018 / 2:55 am

I like those outfit! Perfect, cute and stylish. Such a great guide must try this to see if it’s fit for me.

• February 8, 2018 / 8:31 pm

Thank you Victoria! I would love to hear what you find to dress up just a bit but still stay comfy!

9. February 7, 2018 / 6:54 am

This is a great resource for being stylish and yet comfortable. Love having the best of both worlds!

10. February 7, 2018 / 10:52 am

Blue is a very beautiful color on you! I like all of the different outfits!

11. February 7, 2018 / 1:36 pm

This is so great! I always feel like I’m too casual. I wish I had more accessories to pair with things.

• February 8, 2018 / 10:25 pm

Just pick some up here and there. I always buy them on clearance even if I am not sure what I will use them with I end up finding ways to incorporate them. I rarely spend over 10 for any accessory item.

12. February 7, 2018 / 5:33 pm

I love this because all of my clothing is comfy and bland. Adding a little accessory or two can make all the difference!

• February 8, 2018 / 11:56 pm

Absolutely Heather. We do not have to give up our comfy clothing – just add a splash of fun and we are good to go.

13. February 7, 2018 / 6:14 pm

You look so good in all these outfits! I am a huge fan of yoga pants and a nice color tee lately. So comfortable, yet cute!

14. February 7, 2018 / 9:34 pm

YES! I do things like this all the time. So I look a little more stylish but still get to be comfy. You are too adorable!

• February 9, 2018 / 12:04 am

Awee thank you Lisa! As they say great minds think alike! We can have it all haha.

15. February 8, 2018 / 9:55 am

These are some great tips. I love how simple they are. Pull items from what you already own to perk up a simple outfit. Genius.

• February 9, 2018 / 12:06 am

Thank you so much Cyn. Indeed I am about style but also comfort and saving money for sure.

16. February 8, 2018 / 12:00 pm

The difference it makes by adding the sweater and scarf to your tank top and jeans is just amazing! You could wear that almost anywhere!

• February 8, 2018 / 10:39 pm

Thank you Cherri! It really does not take much to dress up a casual look.

17. February 10, 2018 / 7:20 pm

What a great idea. Both style beautiful, I’m all about it!