Home » Lifestyle » The Sibley Guide To Birds Second Edition

It’s been thirty years since I did my thesis on the mating habits of the Eastern Bluebird.

Just kidding, I never wrote a thesis in my life.

Nor did I study the Eastern Bluebird!

If I had to though I know I could with the help of The Sibley Guide To Birds!

Spring is on its way and I’m ready to enjoy some bird spotting this year.

The Sibley Guide To Birds Second Edition

Disclosure: This is a sponsored collaboration between Fashion Beyond Forty and Chewy.com my favorite place to shop for my pets. All words and opinions are my own.

The Sibley Guide To Birds Second Edition:

David Allen Sibley has put together more than just a field guide on how to spot wild birds.

This book can be used by anyone.

From the novice to the expert.

If you love birds and want to know more about them, and how and where to spot them, this is the book for you.

After writing my article on protecting wild birds in the winter I turned my sights to Spring.

I was inspired and motivated to get my bird bath out of the shed and set up.

The Sibley Guide To Birds Second Edition

Birdbath Tip:

Put rocks of different sizes around the inside of the bath so smaller birds, bees, and insects can also have access to fresh water.

As I stated in a previous book review article, I mentioned that I do love learning from the books that I read.

Learning more about wild birds is something I have wanted to do since moving back to the country.

I grew up in the country but had been city dwelling for far too long.

Moving back to my roots so to speak was something that was just natural for me.

I thrive on having nature around me.

Waking up to the sounds of birds chirping, falling asleep to the sound of the coyotes howling.

For me, it’s a perfect life.

The more trees the better.

That means more birds!

Getting my hands on a copy of The Sibley Guide To Birds Second Edition is a thrill.

Finally, I can actually learn about something I have only adored from afar.

Getting first-hand knowledge will broaden my horizons and I will have a better understanding of the wildlife around me.

It also seems like a pleasing activity that I can enjoy at my own pace while also enjoying an iced tea on my patio.

The Sibley Guide To Birds Second Edition

About The Author Of The Sibley Guide To Birds, David Allen Sibley:

Artist, writer, naturalist David Allen Sibley is the author and illustrator of the series of successful guides to nature that bear his name, including the New York Times bestseller The Sibley Guide to Birds. He has contributed art and articles to Smithsonian, Science, The Wilson Journal of Ornithology, Birding, BirdWatching, and North American Birds, and wrote and illustrated a syndicated column for The New York Times. The recipient of the Roger Tory Peterson Award for Lifetime Achievement from the American Birding Association and the Linnaean Society of New York’s Eisenmann Medal. He lives in Concord, Massachusetts.

As a novice birdwatcher and enthusiast, it is a meaty book of 624 pages.

Don’t let that scare you though.

Most of the pages are of gorgeous paintings and illustrations of birds accompanied with tons of helpful information.

I can handle pictures.

For someone like myself who is just starting out, I found the region information helpful.

I have seen several birds in my area but many look similar such as the Mountain Bluebird, Western Bluebird, and Eastern Bluebird.

By looking at the Rage Map, included on every page and the “key” I could easily identify which type of Bluebird was in my yard.

The Sibley Guide To Birds Second Edition

Is The Sibley Guide To Birds Truly Novice Friendly?

My advice to novices is to do a thorough scan of the book when you are ready to start learning.

I came across the Warbler in the book by flipping pages.

Warblers have been spotted heavily in my area.

However, it was not until I accidentally found it in the book, based on its bright yellow color, that I knew it was even called a Warbler.

Now I can identify which kind of Warbler it is.

The downside being, there is no way to look up in the index of the book “bright yellow bird in Kansas”.

There is a wonderful Table of Contents that gives you solid information to get started though.

As I said before, I could use this book as a sole learning tool for writing a thesis!

It is packed with valuable information.

The downside of the learning material, however, is you may need a magnifying glass to read it.

The print is tiny.

For those of you with bad eyes, it could be hard to read.

I do not like to generalize but a lot of those who will be bird watching are middle-aged most likely.

Not to say younger generations do not enjoy this hobby but here I am nearing 50 and I am just starting out.

I think people have more time for a passive activity like this as they get older.

Sitting around the homefront, sipping on a favorite beverage, pondering the wildlife.

Maybe that’s just me.

I just wish the darn print where larger.

With that said, it’s an amazing book.

More than a book, a lifesaver for anyone who wants to identify bids in nature.

If you look at the photo above, lower left and right corners, that is how large the print is on the pages that get you started.

Don’t worry, it’s not that blurry.

That is just my photo.

Such as preface, introduction, which includes vital information such as classification or birds, learning to identify birds, finding rare birds, etc.

Birding friends, there is a lot to learn!

I am excited to start this journey.

The Sibley Guide To Birds includes a checklist at the back of the book.

This allows us to check off the birds we have successful spotted.

I hope to be able to check off quite a few this year.

Who’s with me? Do you enjoy bird watching?

I would love to hear from you in the comments.

Whether you are a novice to an expert I would love to hear what birds are in your area.

Grab your copy of The Sibley Guide To Birds Second Edition and let’s have some fun!

The Sibley Guide To Birds Second Edition

• February 26, 2018 / 3:47 pm

Thank you Mary! Nothing better than relaxing with a glass of vino or an iced tea and watching the pretty birds.

1. Dana Rodriguez
    February 26, 2018 / 1:58 pm

We have so many different birds here too. We have Owls, Whipperwills (not sure I spelled that right), Hawks, Vultures, Cardinals, Bluejays, Robins, Woodpeckers.. the list goes on. This sounds like a great book!

• February 26, 2018 / 3:43 pm

It sounds like you have a lot of the same birds we have here. Oh and we do have owls too! I have to really watch our pups due to them although they are really cool!

2. February 26, 2018 / 2:57 pm

That sounds like a really fun read! I’m always seeing different birds around here and half the time I have no idea what kind they are. And really, what’s better than sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee, watching the critters?

• February 26, 2018 / 3:33 pm

Exactly!!! I can’t wait for our weather to stay nice so I can get out and get my lawn and gardens going and just enjoy bird watching!

3. February 26, 2018 / 5:12 pm

Lol! You really had me in the beginning. I was like, wow haha! My father in law is an avid bird watcher. He would love this book and his birthday happens to be coming up!

4. February 26, 2018 / 10:58 pm

I have never really focused on birds until last summer. We were up at our mountain cabin in Colorado last summer and my son started pointing out the birds around the lake. It was fun for us to explore them. I will be investing in a guide like this for next summer for sure.

• February 27, 2018 / 7:25 pm

Oh what a wonderful way to spend time with your son especially since he was into it first! He will love this! A mountain cabin in Colorado sounds lovely!

5. February 27, 2018 / 1:03 am

I’ll have to pick up a copy of this (along with some binoculars) for my husband. We have a growing number of bird feeders in the backyard and every time we’re eating at the kitchen counter, he’ll see a cool looking bird and pull out his phone. He’s so funny because he’ll try to get closer to see the coloring and always spooks them. “Doh!”

• February 27, 2018 / 7:27 pm

Oh this is going to be so perfect for him!!! And we need to stop using our phones so much haha so what a great resource this will be! He is going to be so surprised!
      That is funny he scares them away – yes he does need binoculars!

6. Reesa Lewandowski
    February 27, 2018 / 8:29 am

My husband is really into these types of things. I should pick up a copy of this guide book for his birthday. Thank you for the recommendation!

• February 27, 2018 / 7:27 pm

You are so welcome Reesa! He will be so impressed with you and it will be a great surprise for his bday!

7. February 27, 2018 / 8:49 am

When I was a kid, I enjoy looking up on the types of birds, trying to identify the ones that fly by our little home (we lived in an area full of trees). Nowadays, my cats and I can only see pigeons flying by. 😀 What a beautiful book! Having so many pages, I’m curious how many birds were identified…

• February 27, 2018 / 7:30 pm

Well I know the book has over 7000 paintings and there is a painting for each bird. Plus they added 111 new species and 600 new paintings with 115 species in the book being “rare’ so they do keep it up to date which is cool. What I do know for sure is it is packed full – A LOT of birds haha. I am also sure you will LOVE this!
      It sounds like you grew up in an absolutely lovely area!

8. February 27, 2018 / 9:17 am

I love feeding the birds, watching them in the bird baths, and seeing them fly through my yard. When I was little my grandmother used to have birds so I always think of her when I see them. Now I feel like she is visiting with me when they are around.

• February 27, 2018 / 5:57 pm

Aweeee that is so sweet thank you so much for sharing that about your grandmother!
      I think she is visiting you through the birds.
      Her spirit is free.

9. February 27, 2018 / 11:06 am

You’re totally right, there is a ton of information to learn from these beautiful free-flying vertebrates. I have always said if I came back after death and could choose, I would love to be a bird. One day I would love to go out with my telephoto lens to a nice bird watching conservation area.

• February 27, 2018 / 6:15 pm

Oh Nadalie what a wonderful way that would be to come back! Maybe it would get me past my fear of heights too haha. I would love to see the photos you capture!!

10. February 27, 2018 / 9:00 pm

Birds are such amazing creatures. They are so beautiful and magical. I would love to see more around me neighborhood.