It was a long time coming but we got it done!

“We” being my mother and myself.

The husband took off leaving a lot of work to be done.

Not to say I am not a capable woman but we had a lot of projects going on!

There is a lot of land around my home, with a ton of trees.

That meant a huge pile of leaves to bag up.

The bags are recycled and reused and the leaves are composted.

Winter came suddenly, and early so half of these leaves had laid on the ground through winter.

We had a break in the weather with a couple of nice days so finally, with the help of my mom, we got them all bagged!

Happiness Is… Teamwork!

Happiness Is Teamwork

It was a big job for one person and the truth is I was mentally and emotionally exhausted.

Having already done half of the job myself before winter hit, I just did not have the motivation to finish it up on my own.

Since the separation, I have taken on everything and truth be told, it’s a lot for one person!

My mom has been a lifesaver in many ways.

We had a fun time working as a team getting these leaves raked up and bagged.

It may not seem like much, but it took what would have been a frustrating experience and turned it into a joyful one.

Teamwork Makes The Dream Work!

Happiness Is Teamwork

No, it was not my dream to be separated by any means.

I could have been really angry that day thinking of what all was dumped in my lap.

Not to mention the leaves dumped in my yard since his estrangement.

The whole task could have really brought me down.

Raking and bagging for hours alone only to be focused on how HE should have been here to help!

Then, of course, thoughts of all the other duties and chores that are now mine alone to infiltrate my mind.

We sometimes can’t help when the negativity flows in.

Especially when faced with a not so fun task that would have otherwise been shared with someone you love.

It could have been fun for the two of us considering we enjoyed playing in the leaves together in the past.

My dream is, however, for everyone to find their happiness.

That is the point of my monthly Happiness Is articles.

That no matter what may be going on in our lives that brings us down, we find nuggets of joy along the way.

When we are able to turn a no so happy time into something better we have succeeded!

My mother is so goofy and it really is fun to hang out with her.

She loves, and I mean loves to work hard!

While she raked I bagged.

A great effort at teamwork.

After the job was done it was time to relax or drop exhausted in a bagged pile of leaves.

Happiness Is Teamwork

So for today, my happiness is teamwork!

What makes you happy?

Do you find ways to be joyful even when life is stressful?

I would love to hear how you find your happiness, please leave me a comment.

Happiness Is Teamwork

1. March 1, 2018 / 8:38 am

I really loved this post and your Happiness series. It was really nice to hear that your mother helped you rake up those leaves and have fun doing it. This work helped relieve some of your stress. I know when I am stressed out a physical chore is somewhat therapeutic.

Leaves make a wonderful compost. All those bags may seem like you have a ton of leaves, but they honestly shrink down to practically nothing. After they decompose, they bring out a lot of worms as they break down and help our bird friends out.

I used to allow a grass cutting to dump all their leaves and clippings over my hill. However, they brought a bunch of walnuts. Now I have too many squirrels to deal with. These guys keep making holes all over my back yard with nuts. I had to stop them dumping. I do have a walnut tree, but I’m going to cut it down soon. I never got one nut yet. The squirrels just always get there first.

• March 2, 2018 / 4:29 pm

I agree any kind of physical work helps TONS! That is mostly what I have been doing for the past two months.
      My house has never been cleaner and it’s all organized lol.

I am composting for sure! They sure do also shrink down.
      All of those leaves in the bags, even those I had sat on to get them smushed down to make room for more.
      We have two walnut trees in our yard so yes I know all about a lot of squirrels lol.
      The squirrels around here play with our dogs, well, not directly, they love to tease the dogs from the trees then jump down – scatter across the lawn into another tree.
      We do get nuts, in fact, ironically, my husband and I did a whole series – 3 articles about that here on the blog.

2. March 1, 2018 / 10:40 am

Knowing you have people who have your back is certainly one of the best feelings around. Also, HOLY MOLY! You look exactly like your mom. 100%. If I didn’t know better, I’d say you were a clone.

• March 2, 2018 / 4:29 pm

Haha thank you Stacie! I did not used to look as much like her but as I get older I sure do!

3. March 1, 2018 / 12:46 pm

I can’t imagine having to take on even more responsibilities from a separation! Sometimes just having an extra set of hands is all that matters. I’m glad you were able to get it done with your mom.

• March 2, 2018 / 4:42 pm

Exactly Danielle. That has been really difficult outside of the emotional stuff. Thank you – I appreciate the understanding for sure!
      My mom is a trooper and so much help indeed!

4. March 1, 2018 / 1:28 pm

Great job! I love being outside until you mention yard work then I dread it. Although I love the finished product, it is so worth it!

• March 2, 2018 / 4:43 pm

Haha I hear you – the finished product is always worth it. Granted I would rather be planting, or making something pretty rather than cleaning up but it all goes hand in hand.

5. March 1, 2018 / 2:55 pm

Yes! Teamwork makes the dream work! It’s so amazing that your mom pitched in to help. You must have a big yard, or a lot of trees! That is a lot of leaf bags!

• March 2, 2018 / 4:50 pm

I do have a large yard and tons of trees for sure! Those leaves were also smushed down to fit as many in each bag as possible lol I sat on them to smush them down! Wish my mom had got a photo of that – it was hilarious!
      My mom is a powerhouse! She has been so helpful!

6. March 1, 2018 / 3:42 pm

It’s hard. I remember when I had to rake up 16 bags of leaves the day before a winter storm wearing my six-month-old on my back. that was supposed to dump like 3 feet of snow. In our neck of the woods, you can’t just leave the leaves on the ground, if you do after the snow melts, all the grass will be gone with it and you’ll be left with dirt because the leaves don’t allow light filtration down to the earth…so it kills the grass at the root. In other areas where they don’t get all that snow it’s much more acceptable to leave leaves as they can act as a kind of nutrient to the soil as they break down. Anyway, I’m glad you had help with it!

• March 2, 2018 / 4:52 pm

OMG that had to be really hard to do Heather!

Right that was the issue here too – I am very happy the ground looked okay under all these leaves. I was expecting a lot worse than it is!

I think it had to do with the weather being so weird this Winter – it was freaking FREEZING – then sunny and warm then ICE storms then warm with no sun and back and forth all season.
      I think we had just enough warm days to keep the ground half way decent.

Thank you yes my mom was a life-saver for sure!

7. March 1, 2018 / 4:32 pm

I know it was a lot of work but it looked like a great bonding experience with your mom! It looks like you turned a big job into a lot of fun! you should be proud of what you accomplished!

• March 2, 2018 / 4:53 pm

It was and my mom is awesome – always loves to work hard and keeps me motivated for sure!

8. March 1, 2018 / 5:06 pm

I am with you teamwork really is a great thing, it makes jobs go so much easier and feel like they are 1/2 the work (well I guess they actually are).

9. March 1, 2018 / 7:51 pm

Oh I love this post! The photo of you and your Mother is so precious and fun! Hard work is very therapeutic and spending time with our Mothers is the best therapy of all. I miss my Mom so much. We used to have fun doing things together.

• March 2, 2018 / 5:15 pm

Thank you so much Gisele! Honestly work IS therapeutic you are so right about that!
      I am so sorry you do not have your mother anymore Gisele. I spend as much time with mine as I can. Good moms are priceless.

10. March 1, 2018 / 8:31 pm

That’s a tough question. So many things make me happy, but the thing that stands out the most is my kids. Watching them grow and learn and become little people is my happiness.

11. March 2, 2018 / 3:35 am

10 years ago I had something similar happen to me, and I was really sad and depressed seeing things that had to be done alone by me that he should have been helping me do. It was hard at first, but I found ways to be happy. One of my favorite ways to destress and be happy is to fall into a book and forget everything else.

• March 2, 2018 / 5:17 pm

I have started reading again lately after years of not making time to do so. You are spot on about that! Yeah it does make me feel bad when I have to struggle to get something done that he would have been doing or at least that extra set of hands for an assist.
      I am so sorry you have been through similar Stephanie.
      Glad you came out the other side of it all.

12. March 2, 2018 / 7:36 am

I love this! Reading all the way to the end made me miss my mom. She’s the best and I love teaming up with her even for the simplest of things!

13. March 3, 2018 / 12:26 pm

This sounds like a huge job! We are lucky and don’t have any chores like this. But I wouldn’t mind having all that land! Excellent job getting it done with some teamwork!

• March 4, 2018 / 12:00 pm

Thank you Heather. Indeed there is a lot of work that goes into having some land. I admit sometimes I miss apartment or rental living where we do not have to do it all but I love having nature around me so it comes with the territory – so to speak haha.

14. Barb Bryant
    March 5, 2018 / 4:17 am

Joely i loved your post about raking leaves with your mom. Tammy has always been a worker bee. I am sure anything that comes up in the future will be met with the same fortitude and determination that was needed for this chore. The ingredient of love and teamwork makes any job easier and a lot more fun.

• March 5, 2018 / 9:47 pm

She sure has Aunt Barbie! She is always there for all of us. Thank you for coming by, reading and commenting!