Home » enlightenment » International Day Of Happiness 2018

March 20th is International Day Of Happiness.

A globally celebrated day where happiness is forefront.

The Action For Happiness pledge is:

“I will try to create more happiness in the world around me.”

That sounds like a good pledge to me!

So how can one live up to this pledge and why bother trying to do so?

International Day Of Happiness How And Why

International Day Of Happiness

Disclosure: Affiliate links are used in this article. I may earn a small commission if you buy from my link but you will not pay more for using it.

Why Celebrate International Day of Happiness:

We have our own idea of what happiness is, what it means.

Then we have other’s opinions on what it is or should mean.

Friends, family, neighbors, co-workers all have their own point of view.

Then the media tells us what we need to be happy.

Television, radio, magazines, social media, heck even packaging of products tell us:

BUY ME AND YOU WILL BE HAPPY!

Okay, I can admit, a new pair of shoes does make me happy.

Yet, It’s not the same kind of happiness we are talking about here.

I blog about things that truly make me happy regularly in my Happiness Is series.

In fact, I try to spread happiness here on Fashion Beyond Forty as often as possible.

What really brings me happiness are things like connecting with family, spending time in nature, creating something, and being with my pets.

I believe happiness is infectious.

International Day Of Happiness

Have you ever seen any of the viral videos of one person laughing causing a whole group of people to start laughing?

There are videos like this of people on buses, subways, even elevators.

They are complete strangers.

No one cracks a joke, or does anything particularly funny, other than one person starts laughing.

You simply must see one of these videos.

It’s a little shakey so hopefully, it does not make you dizzy.

Be patient, watch the two guys sitting on the right side.

They just could not help themselves.

You can tell one of them is really trying not to laugh, but he does.

Happiness Is Healing:

International Day Of Happiness

It’s a paradox indeed.

Happiness heals us but physical and mental ailments create unhappiness.

I do find, however, as someone who suffers physical ailments, that the more I laugh, the better I feel.

Taken from dayofhappiness.net:

“In rich countries the biggest single cause of misery is mental illness”

— Professor Richard Layard

Laughter releases endorphins which are the feel-good brain chemicals we desire.

So it makes sense that people who laugh more feel better.

Money Can’t Buy Happiness:

International Day Of Happiness

Alright, this is a debatable topic for sure.

There are plenty of people with fame and fortune who are not happy.

While struggling to pay bills is no fun for anyone.

Especially when they are struggling to pay for medications and doctor’s bills.

However, I have known plenty of people some would consider paupers who were filled with joy.

Money and happiness are certainly not synonymous yet I do feel if you have health, you have wealth.

How To Celebrate International Day of Happiness:

You can start by taking the pledge: “I will try to create more happiness in the world around me.”

There are many ways you can celebrate and participate, dayofhappiness.net has them laid out for you.

Learn about the 10 Keys To Happier Living by following the GREAT DREAM outline.

International Day Of Happiness

Buy the book 10 Keys To Happier Living.

Take action, do things that make yourself and others happy.

Share your joy with others daily.

Inspire, empower, and encourage those around you.

Take care of your health and stay informed.

International Happiness Day

I hope that you will visit Action For Happiness and Day Of Happiness.

Learn more and discover how you can promote happiness on International Day Of Happiness every day.

Let’s all work together to spread happiness far and wide!

Are you celebrating and will you take the pledge?

I would love to hear from you in the comments.

What ideas do you have to spread happiness globally or locally?

International Day Of Happiness

1. March 14, 2018 / 8:43 am

Oh wow, I love this! That video had ME laughing–and the cat looking at me like I was deranged. Wouldn’t it be cool if everyone made an effort that day to LAUGH OUT LOUD and get the world happy? Sweet!

• March 14, 2018 / 11:12 pm

I am so so very happy that it made you laugh too! I love that your cat thought you lost it MOL!!!
      Yes it sure would be nice. What a better world it would be!

2. March 14, 2018 / 12:08 pm

What an inspiring post and series, Joely! Who couldn’t use more happiness?

• March 14, 2018 / 11:27 pm

Thank you so much Mary! Indeed we all need to spread as much joy and happiness as we can!

3. March 14, 2018 / 4:34 pm

International day of happiness is honestly EVERY SINGLE DAY for me!! I am always super happy and always celebrate that fact! 🙂

• March 14, 2018 / 11:48 pm

GiGi I can totally see that through your blog! I honestly can feel your energy jumping off every page! You should be the spokesperson for International Day Of Happiness!

4. March 14, 2018 / 5:18 pm

I didn’t know there was an international day of happiness! I love it! I wish it were a day every day! We need more happiness in the world.

• March 14, 2018 / 11:49 pm

Me too Leah – we need as much happiness spread through the world as possible!

5. March 14, 2018 / 6:21 pm

Laughter is infectious. I like to be in a group of smiling and positive individuals because they share a lot of joy around. They’re in the brighter side of life.

• March 14, 2018 / 11:49 pm

Indeed Roch! Me too! Being around happy people makes me happier and more productive! Negative energy is so hard to be around.

6. March 14, 2018 / 10:13 pm

I’ve never heard of that day! I think everyday should be the International Day of Happiness though. 🙂

7. March 15, 2018 / 12:25 am

I hate that we have to habe a day designated to celebrate happiness. But in a busy world we often forget the simple things including being happy.

• March 15, 2018 / 9:54 pm

I know. I hate that we need special days for anything really. If only we could just be kind to each other and embrace the good things in life every day!

8. March 15, 2018 / 7:00 am

I didn’t know that there is such a day, but for me, everyday is International Day of Happiness. And I agree, happiness is infectious and that’s why I only surround myself with positive individuals. 🙂

• March 15, 2018 / 9:57 pm

That is awesome Lynndee! We need to keep positive energy all around us!

9. March 15, 2018 / 12:55 pm

I love that there is an international day of happiness, a day when we can try and remember to pass on the happiness to another close to us (or not).

• March 15, 2018 / 10:02 pm

Thank you Sarah I am so happy to share the news and perhaps remind someone to just smile.

10. March 16, 2018 / 2:42 pm

I had no idea that there was an International Day of Happiness but I love that! SO necessary.

11. March 19, 2018 / 7:44 am

I love this post! I like all the artwork that you also shared with us. What struck me the most is that, “Happiness is healing.” This applies to our personal healing and to the healing that we can give to others when we choose to be happy & share happiness. It’s contagious, if you ask me. Emotional states can be draining and sometimes traumatic. So if we choose otherwise, I think it makes our lives & that of others a lot better.

• March 19, 2018 / 11:53 pm

Thank you so much Russ! Most of the images are from the Day of Happiness site so I can not claim them but they are really awesome! In fact, you can go download them too!
      I do believe happiness can heal us in many ways.
      I love that you mention how emotional states can drain us. That is so very true!