Trust me, she does not want more handprints no matter how much she adores her grandkids! When you were little your handprints were an adorable Mother’s Day gift. You may have already given your mother handprints of your children, her grandkids. What do you gift your mother who is midlife and beyond? This gift guide, Mother’s Day Gifts For Women Over 40, is just for you!

Mother's Day Gifts For Women Over 40

Mother’s Day Gifts For Women Over 40

Reinvent A Moment:

Note I say reinvent, not recreate.

This serves two purposes.

One, it celebrates the past and two, it creates a new memory for her.

Reenactment of a past event is not always possible or practical.

I think it would be rather funny to go back to the park and sit on my mother’s lap.

My mother and I in a dandelion field

That is me sitting on my mother’s lap circa 1975 ish.

It is a favorite memory of mine.

We spent an afternoon at the park in a wide open area filled with dandelion.

Call me crazy but I love dandelion and in my opinion, they are not a weed.

Perhaps this memory is the reason why.

Taking my mother back to this very place and having a picnic together would be a wonderful Mother’s Day gift.

What memory could you recreate for your mother?

Give it some thought.

I am sure she would love to share a very special moment with you again in a whole new way.

That Is Why This Gift Is One Of The Best Mother’s Day Gifts For Women Over 40

Next, We Have The Mixed Tape:

Mother’s Day Gifts For Women Over 40 can be tricky but it’s no joke women from our era love our music.

When I was very young it was all about the 8 track and then came cassettes.

With the introduction of the cassette tape, we were given the magical ability to record!

And boy did we!

Midlife woman wearing headset listening to music.

Now I am not suggesting you literally have to make a tape.

It depends on what music player your mother is most comfortable with.

Of course, she may be fully capable of building her own playlist but it’s about you doing something special for her.

See if you know which songs are most meaningful to her.

Perhaps put a few of your own favorites from your youth on the playlist.

Bringing a bit of her and a bit of you to the mix makes this one of the Mother’s Day Gifts For Women Over 40.

The Road Trip:

Another great idea for Mother’s Day Gifts For Women Over 40 is a weekend road trip.

Women aged 40 plus love adventure too!

We’ve lived quite a while and have put some miles on a car or two!

Nothing is more enjoyable than seeing the countryside with our adult child or children.

After all those years of carting you around while you acted up in the backseat, it’s moms turn to be a little wild.

Older woman driving an RV

How’s your karma feeling?

Maybe this time you can drive.

This gift idea can also be mixed with the first one, recreating a memory.

Perhaps you can take your mom on a road trip you took as a family when you were little.

You could even listen to that playlist you made for her during the drive.

If mom decides to pull a Chevy Chase such as in National Lampoon’s Vacation be patient.

Let her enjoy flirting with the good-looking young man in the sports car.

You may be noticing a theme within this gift guide.

All of these gift ideas involve your creativity and your time.

In essence, your time is all mothers really desire.

If you think about it, your handprints you made for her when you were little was all about creativity.

Things have not changed much from when you were young.

Let’s Take A Look At More Mother’s Day Gifts For Women Over 40

House Cleaning And Errands:

You may do this for your mother already as a regular thing but if not it sure would make her happy.

It’s a wonderful idea if your mother is homebound, or has medical conditions that make cleaning and running errands a challenge.

Perhaps she has a caretaker and or a housekeeper.

If so that is great!

Even still, there are some things the average housekeeper may not do.

Things such as cleaning her garage or helping her organize her closet.

Attractive older woman smiling.

Imagine the smile on her face as you do those chores she had to plead with you to do when you were a kid!

Make her a cup of tea or coffee to enjoy as you do all the work.

This would also be a great time for her to listen to that mixed tape you made for her.

Heck, she can even enjoy a nap.

The main thing is, she isn’t to lift a finger!

That sure is a lovely gift.

Plant A Garden:

As we age doing the things we love does become more difficult.

Especially things that require bending, digging, and lifting.

If your mother always prided herself on her flower garden or vegetable garden but has been letting that slide, there is probably a reason for it.

Now, this gift is one that you will have to keep up with along with her.

If she has not been able to do this for herself just getting her set up is not going to help a lot.

Planting a garden. Mother's Day Gifts For Women Over 40

Once a garden is planted it needs TLC so perhaps in addition to helping her plant, you can gift her more.

Give her a certificate that you make yourself stating you will visit once a week to help weed, and do up-keep with her.

Set up a sprinkler attached to the hose so she can simply turn it on when needed to keep the plants or flowers watered.

Please be sure you hit that faucet up with some WD-40 so she can turn the dang thing without breaking her hand.

If you do not live locally and can only manage to get her set up you can always buy her service for garden maintenance.

The garden itself will be a constant reminder of her time spent with you.

This makes it one of my favorite Mother’s Day Gifts For Women Over 40

Work Out:

You may be hitting the gym regularly yourself but it’s not as easy for older parents.

Transportation can be an issue, as can the motivation to do it.

Unless you are a “gym rat” you know how hard it is to get to a gym yourself!

The older we get the more vital exercise is in our lives.

Most older people are told to exercise regularly by their doctors.

Elderly woman doing a curl with a barbell.

If your mother is participating in physical therapy you want to stick to her exercise outline and not stray from it.

Working out with your mother is a wonderful way to motivate both of you to stay in shape.

Let’s face it, for some of us exercise is boring, especially when we have to do it alone!

That is why so many of us join a gym in the first place.

To be motivated and not feel all on our own.

This is a really wonderful way to spend time with mom and it’s healthy for you both.

Just don’t expect mom to be at your level unless she is at or above your level.

If that is the case you need to work out more.

Walk Her Dog:

This one is near and dear to my heart.

Our pets are family.

Yes, I know you have heard that a million times from me.

A search of my blog says I have stated “pets are family” a total of 372 times here on Fashion Beyond Forty.

Sorry, not sorry.

Your mother’s pet may be the best friend she has.

Her pet is there for her day in and day out.

Some days her pet may alert her to danger.

Elderly woman with her dog.

Your mother wants to be able to do the things for her pet that she used to.

Yet, she may no longer be able to walk her dog or play with her dog as she once could.

This can cause depression and sadness.

Not only because she sees her pet suffering and bored, but because it is a reminder of what she can no longer do for herself.

You can easily solve one of these two problems by walking her dog for her.

Just knowing her pup is getting exercise and having fun will make her feel so much better.

If your mother has mobility issues but can still get around with a wheelchair or walker take your mother along!

She would love to watch you playing with her beloved pup as she enjoys some fresh air and sunshine too.

These, my dear readers, are the gifts that truly matter.

These Are The Best Mother’s Day Gifts For Women Over 40!

Unless of course, you can send her on a 21-day cruise with first-class airline tickets to get to the port.

I mean that is also a really great gift.

Let me know which of these ideas you may gift your mother this year or add some ideas of your own!

I love hearing from you!

Mother's Day Gifts For Women Over 40

1. March 19, 2018 / 11:01 am

I think one of my favorite things to get is something that my son drew. I have kept everything that he has given to me in one day I will show it to him again. Everything I get from him is so special. These are all wonderful ideas.

• March 19, 2018 / 11:54 pm

Indeed Jeanette. By the time my kids were grown I had bin upon bin of every drawing and yes, every school paper they ever did. Eventually I did have to cut back but only after each child and I sat down and went through it all together. I love that you plan to do the same with your son one day.

2. March 19, 2018 / 11:04 am

These are some great ideas! I need to figure out what I’m getting my mom and grandma’s. Thanks for reminding me…

3. March 19, 2018 / 11:37 am

I love these ideas so much! As our parents age, it’s important that our gifts reflect what’s important in life. I love this!

• March 19, 2018 / 11:55 pm

Thank you so much Stacie. I really wanted to focus on what mattered instead of items we can buy. I do love those gift guides too but I think most parents of us midlife women would really love something more special – like time with us.

4. March 19, 2018 / 12:03 pm

These are some great ideas, we always try and make sure to spend some time with our mothers around Mother’s Day. Sometimes time is the best gift.

• March 19, 2018 / 11:56 pm

Indeed Sarah! While I love buying and receiving “stuff” as much as the next person I really wanted this gift guide to reflect those precious things our parents simply can not buy for themselves. Our time.

5. March 19, 2018 / 4:29 pm

A road trip is exactly what I want for mother’s day…but I already know what I’m getting! I’m getting a paddle board! I am so excited to take up this sport its not even funny!

• March 19, 2018 / 11:57 pm

Heather lol that is so awesome – truly! I would LOVE a paddle board! Sadly we do not have nice lakes around here and absolutely no oceans so I take it back – I do not want to paddle board in our lakes lol.
      Road trips are always nice.
      Have fun on your paddle board! That is a great way to stay in shape!

6. March 19, 2018 / 6:46 pm

The older you get, the most important thing to give to your mother is time. Seeing a play, taking a trip or spending the day together is the best gift you can give them! One thing I love doing for my mom is planting her garden for her! Its a gift we can do together and she can enjoy all summer long!

• March 19, 2018 / 11:58 pm

Indeed Jennifer. Oh I love the idea of seeing a play together! Thank you for that idea!
      I also love how you put it about the garden! So brilliant!

7. March 19, 2018 / 8:41 pm

Planting a garden sounds like a great idea. Instead of just buying someone a bouquet of flowers, it would be nice to buy a plant that would give back to them for years to come. Good thinking on these suggestions.

• March 19, 2018 / 11:59 pm

Dana I love how you put that! Indeed not just flowers in a bouquet that will wilt soon but gardening is our time and flowers all season long!
      Glad you liked the ideas!

8. March 19, 2018 / 8:54 pm

This is something I haven’t thought of, but a great topic. I think the things you desire change in life for sure!

• March 19, 2018 / 11:59 pm

Thank you Karissa. Glad you liked the ideas. Indeed as we get older we more or less have most all that we need. Doing special things together is what is most precious.

9. March 19, 2018 / 9:31 pm

These are all great ideas. I just turned 40 and feel like I might not be there yet, but definitely somethings I’d consider for my Mom.

• March 20, 2018 / 12:00 am

Oh absolutely! I am 48 and still not totally there yet lol. I would love to think I never will be but the truth is my mother is there, and I know one day I will be as well.

10. March 19, 2018 / 10:24 pm

I’m sure these are great ideas but unfortunately, I don’t have any family in this age range.

• March 20, 2018 / 12:01 am

Jess I am so glad your family is still so young! It is actually very cool! Then again who wouldn’t love a great time on a road trip! I think that is one idea that is great for all ages. Just change it up a little and make the road trip all you 🙂

11. March 20, 2018 / 12:03 am

My mom has been gone over 7 years and this time of year is always tough. There isn’t a moment when I don’t miss her. Boy has she missed out on a ton of things too. She has a few more grandchildren. She only met my 2 kids and none of my siblings children. I’m thankful for those opportunities.

• March 20, 2018 / 8:51 pm

I am so sorry. I wish she had the chance to meet all of her grandkids. Our family has lost most all of our elders as well. Now we are very few.
      I am sorry this is such a hard time of the year but it does sound like you were very close which is wonderful.
      Celebrate her memory perhaps by doing something for yourself that she would have loved. Or plant a small garden in her memory.
      XOX

12. March 20, 2018 / 12:50 am

I usually just stick to giving a gift card for a pedicure…LOL! I know the women in my life don’t ever treat themselves so I make sure they get treated to one!!

• March 21, 2018 / 7:49 pm

Awee that is so sweet! Maybe a spa day together would be nice too. Love this idea.

13. March 20, 2018 / 6:20 am

Since my Mama Dory is still in the Philippines right now, I make sure to always have a constant communication with her. These are really lovely tips. I miss my mom and I wish I can visit her this year.

• March 21, 2018 / 7:50 pm

Indeed – thank goodness we have all the tech we have today to stay in touch! I hope you get to visit her soon Angela!

14. March 20, 2018 / 6:52 am

I’d be happy to get any of these for Mother’s Day. I don’t have a dog so that one wouldn’t work. I always love jewelry and another charm for my Pandora bracelet makes me happy because I equate those with memories. BUT, that said a sweet inexpensive gift of time is also lovely. I’d settle for kids on their best behaviour making me breakfast, hanging out with me, remembering that it is Mother’s Day and then simply being pleasant all day or cleaning up around the house without being asked. If they did laundry and took me for dinner I would enjoy that too. A couple of times the past few years (my girls are teens) the kids have ended up arguing and being awful and then it’s like why bother…

• March 21, 2018 / 7:51 pm

Paula a Pandora charm would be so sweet and special! Love that idea.

Haha I was laughing because I totally understand just having a day of serenity would be a gift enough!

Teen years are the hardest for sure!
      I remember it well with my kids!

It would be so nice to be delivered a late breakfast in bed after sleeping in!

15. March 20, 2018 / 6:58 am

These are all great tips for Mother’s Day. I love a practical gift that actually helps out, all of these are perfect!

16. March 20, 2018 / 7:59 am

My mom is thousands of miles away from me so I usually just send her a little moolah to get herself something she likes or wants. 🙂 These are great ideas you share though.

• March 21, 2018 / 7:52 pm

Thank you Lyndee and yes when our mothers live so far away my list is a bit difficult for sure. I know we all have something we want but won’t spend the money on. I am sure she is going to love getting herself something special!

17. March 20, 2018 / 12:32 pm

I did a roadtrip with my mom last year and it was so much fun! She has been to every state in the US!

• March 21, 2018 / 7:57 pm

Wow that is something to talk about! I bet she has so many awesome stories!!
      I am so glad you got to take a road trip with her. That is an experience you will always cherish I am sure.

18. March 20, 2018 / 9:36 pm

I would love to take my mom on a road trip for Mother’s Day. Just her, me and the kids – What a perfect way to celebrate

• March 21, 2018 / 8:00 pm

Indeed Amy I think so many memories could be made having a family road trip!

19. Victoria Heckstall
    March 21, 2018 / 8:33 am

These are all great ideas. My mom loves gardening so plant a garden with her is one of the best thing to do.

• March 21, 2018 / 8:04 pm

Victoria that is wonderful she loves to garden. I do too. It is just so ZEN if you know what I mean.

20. March 21, 2018 / 2:22 pm

I love the thought that goes into these gifts for women over 40. I’m not quite 40 yet and know I would love some of these gift ideas!

• March 21, 2018 / 8:08 pm

Thank you so much Shannon!
      Right you do not have to be 40 or midlife at all to love some of these ideas.
      I have always loved a road trip, gardening, and many others.
      🙂

21. March 21, 2018 / 6:57 pm

These are such great ideas! I will have to keep some of these in mind for my own mother.

22. April 9, 2018 / 7:41 pm

Mixtapes are great way to convey feelings to a person, and I’d definitely love to make one for my mom including her favorite songs. Thanks a lot for sharing these wonderful ideas! 🙂

• April 9, 2018 / 9:48 pm

Thank you so much Nicky. I am over on your site right now – how cool! What a wonderful idea for a blog! Love it!

• April 10, 2018 / 5:37 am

Hi, Joely! Thanks a lot for giving my blog a visit! Means so much to me. Regards!