When you have a multi-pet home it is important to make sure each pet is getting the quality time they need and deserve. Each pet has its own needs. Pampering pets in a multi-pet home is important for their health, happiness, and behavior.

There are several ways in which you can pamper each of your pets to be sure they are receiving what they need to be happy, healthy, and thrive in your multi-pet home.

Each of your pets may have different wants or requirements.

You know your pets best, but you can consider the following options.

Pampering Pets In A Multi-Pet Home

Pampering Pets In A Multi-Pet Home Pinterest Image

Be sure you are pampering pets with one-on-one play.

Pampering Pets With One-on-one play.

No matter the activity level of your pet, all pets need play time.

Animals use playtime as a means of enriching their natural instincts.

Playtime for your pets will vary based on their health and mobility.

My kitty Nub enjoys an easy going playtime with strings and shoelaces.

Nub has bad eyes and his reflexes are a bit slow.

By playing in this way it sharpens his hunting skills and paw-eye coordination.

Pampering Pets With One-on-one play cat's paw grasping shoelace.

Pampering pets with their own sacred space.

All animals need time away from the fray just like we humans do.

Having a space that they can retreat to for some downtime is important to their well-being.

This can be a real challenge in a multi-pet home.

Especially if you have younger pets that enjoy constant play with their fur siblings.

Our Link tends to irritate our other furbabies.

Granted, his fur siblings love him and truly enjoy playing with him, most of the time.

Other times, Link pushes them too far and the other pets get cranky with him.

When this happens we have special places they can go to retreat and get away from him for awhile.

Pampering Pets With Down-Time Our Cat Tibet on bed yawning

For our cat Tibet, this means getting time to herself on my bed.

She loves playing with Link and entertains him more than any of our other pets.

However, she is an older cat and enjoys being able to rest after hard play with Link!

Animals know when you are accommodating their needs and I firmly believe they appreciate it when we step in to lend a hand.

Pampering your pets with their personal toys.

It is important that each of your pets have their own toys.

Toys that only they can play with.

This can be difficult to do in a multi-pet home and it takes effort on our part.

One thing that can help is if they each have their own storage bin for their personal items.

With a little training, your pets will learn which bin is theirs.

Or if you do not have time to train, you can store the bins and bring them out for each pet’s personal playtime.

Pampering Pets With Their Own Toys Link And His Giant Ball

Link has the most toys of all our pets.

He is the youngest and not only requires but demands the most playtime.

This is his giant ball that both frustrates him and keeps him happily busy.

It’s not his favorite toy but it’s one he has not managed to rip to shreds, yet.

Pets, like kids, make it easy to discern what their favorite toys are.

I limit playtime with Link’s favorite toys so they remain special to him, and so they last longer.

It also makes that playtime more exciting for him, which is a great way to let him know it’s his special one-on-one time with me.

Cuddling is very important to pampering pets.

We all have the need for human touch.

It is scientifically proven that through touching we create greater happiness and health.

Pets need touch as much as humans do.

Spending time with your pets through touch, cuddling, and snuggling is a wonderful way to pamper them.

I believe it also lengthens their lifespan when combined with quality food, good vet care, and other factors listed here.

Pampering Pets With Cuddling. My daughter Emma cuddles with Link.

I can’t imagine anyone having a pet and not giving it love and attention.

Sadly I have seen it far too many times.

Pets that are left caged up outside all day and night, all through the year.

To me, it’s nothing short of animal abuse.

Grooming your pet is pampering.

Just like not being cuddled and touched, the lack of grooming can hurt your pets.

Not everyone can afford to take their pets to a professional groomer.

That is okay as long as you learn how to do it yourself.

Not only do pets get the human touch during grooming but it’s good for their health.

Lyla loves nothing more than her “spa treatments” that we do daily.

Some days it lasts only 10 minutes, and when she really needs groomed we spend about a half hour.

Once in a great while, Lyla gets a full out pampering with a professional groom.

Pampering Pets By Grooming Lyla, a pomeranian mix, Fully Pampered From Her PetSmart Grooming colorful tail and feather in fur

Usually, she gets a full professional groom on her birthday but since she just turned 9 on April 1st she is slightly overdue.

Her daily “spa treatments” include brushing and oil on her dry skin.

Then there are days her nails need trimming, ears and eyes cleaned, and fur trimmed.

Grooming is not only pampering but necessary when you have a pet.

Pets need blankets, bedding, cubbies, and loungers.

The blankets in our home are mostly interchangeable but the bedding is mostly personal for each pet.

Sometimes they will share, and other times they are quite possessive of their beds.

It’s a rare sighting to see Link and Lyla sharing a bed but it has happened.

A new acquisition to our home is the Primetime Petz Lounge that I won recently in a BlogPaws chat.

So far no one has claimed this as their own possession but they have all given it a try, except Lyla.

Her legs are a bit too shaky due to her mobility issues to try it.

Pampering Pets with their own beds and blankets Primetime Petz Lounge blue with triangles

You can learn more about BlogPaws, the best pet group on the planet!

Tibet loves it and has been on it a lot.

Pampering Pets with their own beds and blankets. Tibet the grey persian tests out the Primetime Petz Lounge.

Nub even got in on the action but it was Link that took over when it initially arrived.

Pampering Pets with their own beds and blankets. Link the Doxie takes over the Primetime Petz Lounge when it arrives.

This pet lounge may become a shared place for the pets to enjoy or one of them may ultimately claim it as their own.

As long as you have multiple beds in your multi-pet home each pet will find their own place to lay their heads.

In our home, each pet has their own bed and now we have this new lounge which is next to our window and cat tree.

The cats share the cat tree which has several cubbies in it.

I got ours from Chewy.com and we love it!

It’s by Amarkat and has lasted for years!

A pet lounger is a perfect item for pets to relax and look out the window whether one of them claim it as their own or not.

Pampering pets include socialization with other animals.

Proper socialization within the home between fur-siblings is important.

No one wants a home of chaos between pets.

However, it is also good to be sure your pets get out of the house and interact with other pets too!

Link loves going on long walks with my mother’s dogs.

Below is a not so great photo I snapped of Link and Romeo on a recent walk.

Pampering Pets includes socialization. Link the red Doxie and Romeo the white Poodle on a walk.

It was difficult getting them both in the frame at the same time.

You can take your pets on walks with other pets, go to a dog park, or an interactive play place for your cats.

If you live in an area that has dog walkers you can opt to have your dog walked with other dogs.

I admit it is more difficult to get cats interactive with cats outside my home.

We do not have any cat play places in our area.

To compensate for this I enforce the bond between the two cats within our home with outside time together in our yard.

They enjoy stalking wildlife together although they never get close to any, nor would I allow it.

The ultimate key to truly pampering pets is knowing their individual needs.

Each of your pets has it’s own very distinct personality.

This means they each have their very distinct needs.

Lyla requires walks that are much different from Link’s.

Link likes long active walks and Lyla has mobility issues so her walks are short and low key.

Lyla loves rides in cars, and on the lawnmower.

Link just wants to run and chase sticks.

Lyla gets hot very easily and Link loves his heating pad.

Nub pretends to hate getting his eyes cleaned but comes to me every night to get it done.

Same place, same time, like clockwork.

After his eyes are cleaned he bunts heads with me for as long as I will let him.

While he wants to put on airs he hates it, he truly loves it.

Tibet is like a dog when it comes to food.

She has to be given first feeding.

Also, I have to watch carefully because she will gobble hers down ravenously then go steal all the other food from her siblings.

These are only a few examples of my pet’s varied personalities and each of your pets has their own too.

You know your pets best.

Giving each pet the pampering time they deserve ensures their happiness, their health, and their love is given back to you ten-fold.

I would love to hear about your pets in the comments!

What is unique about your pet?

How do you pamper your pets?

What quirks do your pets have?

Do you make pampering pets priority in your life?

Pampering Pets In A Multi-Pet Home Twitter Image

1. April 12, 2018 / 11:30 am

We have two dogs and I think it is very important to spend time with each of them individually as well as together. They do love to play with each other but, just like kids, they deserve some alone time too. These are some great tips on pampering your pets! Thank you!

• April 13, 2018 / 1:29 pm

Thank you so much Tessa! Indeed pets are very much like kids in what they need! Not exactly the same lol but in a lot of ways similar.

2. April 12, 2018 / 1:07 pm

Oh love this. We are a multi pet home and try to spoil them equally. Our cats would love a lounger, and our dog lounges all day on our sofa, so she is set. I’ll have to check out the group. How fun!

• April 13, 2018 / 9:53 pm

Haha dogs have it easy right!? Please do check out the group Jenn you will LOVE it!

3. April 12, 2018 / 5:02 pm

These are great ideas! Our pets all have free reign of the furniture and sleep in bed with us so they are definitely pampered! Soon, we’ll be adding two dogs to the house so we’re going to need all the pampering tips we can get to keep them and the cat happy.

• April 13, 2018 / 9:54 pm

Oh indeed being able to sleep in the bed is awesome! I have two cats and a dog that do that. My Lyla can’t get into bed with me sadly as she can’t climb the stairs or use a ramp that would fit in my space. She has leg and knee issues and if she fell out – well I don’t even want to think about it.
      Oh I am so excited you will be adding to your famliy!!
      Congratulations on the 2 new pups!

4. April 12, 2018 / 6:21 pm

Couldn’t agree more. We have two rescue cats siblings, Jake and Amelia. Jake is a bossy, demanding, jealous cat who loves to bully his sister. We go out of our way to make sure that Amelia gets plenty of love and attention. Most often it’s when Jake is sleeping. She knows this now and comes and finds us for pets and playtime when he’s zonked out. Seems to work out pretty well.

• April 13, 2018 / 9:52 pm

Cats are so smart! And that Jake lol what a character! I think it is wonderful you have found what works for both of them!

5. April 12, 2018 / 8:35 pm

We just bought this pet lounge! WE have two cats and they love it. It is perfect for our basement family room. They lounge with us when we have movie nights. So fun!

• April 13, 2018 / 9:51 pm

That is absolutely purrfect! Did you get the blue or the grey? It was so easy to put together too wasn’t it!

6. April 13, 2018 / 8:08 am

Great post. I have 12 cats so it is hard to pamper them all daily, but I try.

• April 13, 2018 / 9:52 pm

Ellen I have no doubt your cats get plenty of love and attention. What a big happy family! Give them some cuddles for me please.

7. April 13, 2018 / 9:38 am

Great tips! We have a Siberian Husky, two cats, a hedgehog and turtle. Our house is basically ran by our pets and we love it!

• April 14, 2018 / 2:09 pm

I love it too Heather! How wonderful to have such a full house of love!

8. Hindy Pearson
    April 13, 2018 / 12:27 pm

Wow, what great advice. I always have a multi pet household and it’s really important, and sometimes challenging, making sure each one gets enough attention, and has their needs met. Sometimes I have to remind myself of this, because one of my dogs is quite old and requires lots of attention, sometimes at the expense of the other. I do my best, but luckily he loves my husband more than me so he gets tons of one on one time when he gets home.

• April 14, 2018 / 2:10 pm

I agree it is a balancing act for sure. It is easy to forget the elders because they tend to be more quiet. My Lyla is elder and will lay in the same place most of the day if I don’t get her up and active. I sometimes have to remind myself to go give her attention too!

9. April 13, 2018 / 12:37 pm

I don’t have any pets but these look like great tips!

• April 13, 2018 / 1:28 pm

Thank you Bianca. I appreciate that you checked them out! Maybe you can share with a pet loving friend.

10. April 13, 2018 / 5:27 pm

When we had a foster, I tried to give Mr. N his own cuddle time and walks. He needed a lot more exercise than the foster which helped too. Mr. N definitely needs his time with me to be happy!

• April 14, 2018 / 2:11 pm

Oh indeed! Mr. N needed to know he was not being “replaced” I am sure.

11. April 13, 2018 / 6:34 pm

We have two dogs, but I think what resonated with me about this is that my wife gave birth to our first born son almost three weeks ago. I’ve intentionally been giving each dog some undivided attention to let them know they haven’t been forgotten!

• April 14, 2018 / 2:31 pm

Ahhh yes indeed this is a whole other area in which we need to balance attention and focus! Congratulations on your son!

12. April 13, 2018 / 7:01 pm

It is so important that every pet in the family gets what they need and their special time. We always had two dogs maximum, so one for daddy, one for mommy 🙂

13. April 13, 2018 / 8:58 pm

I personally think and I am sure a lot of people would agree that a lot of pet owners will treat their pets like their own children. They have needs just like we do and they shouldn’t be neglected.

14. April 13, 2018 / 10:59 pm

These are such great tips for living with multiple pets! My dachshund Bonnie lives with me while I’m at college, but when I go home on breaks I also have 2 English Setters and 1 Gordon Setter. It’s so important to give each them the love and attention they deserve! 🙂

• April 14, 2018 / 2:09 pm

Your Bonnie is absolutely beautiful and I love your blog! I love that Bonnie is with you while you are away from home to keep you company!

15. April 14, 2018 / 8:49 am

We have two dogs and we make sure to spend time with them individually as well as together. I always greet them separately, giving them hugs and time with them. They both have their own ‘spots’ around the house, sometimes you will find one in the other one’s spot, but it’s rare. I have stopped buying two of the same toy, because one wants what the other one has! But they do love to play with each other too. Sandy is more jealous if I am giving time to Barney, but she is getting better at not trying to manoeuvre herself between us!

• April 15, 2018 / 10:01 am

Michelle it is wonderful that you see what each of your dogs need and provide that individual attention to each!
      I totally understand about the rarity of shared space lol.
      I always think it is so cute when I see it although I know Lyla is only tolerating Link on her pillow.
      Just like human kids – jealousy between pets does exist like you said!

16. April 14, 2018 / 1:35 pm

I totally agree with all your tips. You know I never heard of that lounger before put when I adopt again, I’ll have to remember that one. Looks very comfy. I remember when I had my two girls (cats) they had two very different personalities so it makes perfect sense pointing out “know your pet”. They each had their own pet peeves, triggers and food preferences. When you know how to cater to them and make them happy, it makes for a peaceful fun household. 🙂

• April 15, 2018 / 10:03 am

Thank you Kamira!
      You are so right!
      Instead of fighting the differences and trying to make pets carbon copies of each other we need to embrace their differences and yes exactly, it does make for a more peaceful fur family!
      The lounger is awesome! It also looks really nice in the house!

17. April 15, 2018 / 7:31 am

Link looks so cute on the pet lounge! Blue looks so good with his fur and the lounge looks cuddly and soft for your pets. These are great tips! I love that you included daily routines such as grooming as an important way to bond with your pets. We are looking forward to seeing you soon at the BlogPaws conference!

• April 15, 2018 / 10:04 am

Thank you so much!
      Blue is his color for sure.
      Exactly – bonding time can be daily routine for sure, which makes it easier and less time consuming as well when we make it special time instead of just a chore.
      I can’t wait to finally meet you at the conference!
      Just a few days!!
      WOOO HOOO!

18. April 15, 2018 / 10:15 am

As a child, we had multiple pets in our home but I was too young to really be thinking about it. I have had two dog’s as an adult but at different times. Both loved to travel and just wanted to be with me. I got married 5 years into owning Harley. He had a difficult time but adjusted quickly, though I was always “top dog” with him. Shasta was my husband and my dog. He divided his love equally and only wanted everyone to be together. Harley was a ham for the camera. Shasta avoided the camera though with the blog I patiently waited for the good shot. The time when he would forget I still had the camera out.

• April 16, 2018 / 4:00 pm

Aweee I love how you described each pet’s personality so well Denise! It just adds to the proof of how different every animal can be. I love it when a pet is a camera ham! I am forever missing great shots – scrambling for my camera but I am always too late haha!

19. April 15, 2018 / 12:55 pm

Sadly our rescue cat Nala passed away soon after we started fostering Kilo the Pug. To be honest he seems thrilled to be an only dog and loves being very pampered. He has his own luxurious bed and blankie in his crate which is his safe space he guards and usually sleeps in. He does not need other dog beds as he considers our beds and sofas his as well. He uses me as a bed, ladder, warming device and source of food and massages. Luckily he snoozes a lot and will play with his numerous toys by himself but he would prefer to play with me and insists on attention every hour or two (I often work from home).

• April 16, 2018 / 4:05 pm

I know and that is so very sad. There is nothing that can heal the loss of a pet. They are always in our hearts. Kilo of course is amazing! That is cute that he enjoys getting all the attention too!
      Haha I hear you on him considering your bed his too! Link and the kitties are like that but our Lyla can’t get up in the bed due to her poor little leg issues, hips and knees too.
      You have me smiling so big reading how he uses you as a ladder, warming device, etc – that is so true of our sweet furbaies! We are everything to them and they totally deserve it! It sounds like Link and Kilo are very alike!
      I have to entertain Link nearly non-stop when I am not working and when i am (also at home) it’s at least every couple of hours!
      I think sometimes if not for keeping Link busy I would get NO exercise lol

20. April 15, 2018 / 2:00 pm

Lyla, you are styling in your new cut! So adorable. Great post. It’s so important to create one on one time for each pet. I’ll have to look at that pet lounge for my cat. I think he’d really enjoy that next to his big window. Thanks for sharing.

• April 16, 2018 / 4:01 pm

Happy to share Tonya and thank you for the compliments on Lyla’s birthday make over. That was last year I need to get her one for this year! She loves being pampered 🙂

21. April 15, 2018 / 3:07 pm

I like the idea of having a different storage bin for each pet. I would have never thought of that. Well, I only have one pet at the moment but if I get another, this is a good tip to remember 🙂

• April 16, 2018 / 4:06 pm

So glad I could offer a new idea that you like Monika! Thank you so much for letting me know! Having just one pet can be awesome as they get ALL the love and attention!

22. April 15, 2018 / 5:45 pm

We have 3 dogs, a cat, a rabbit, and a tortoise. It can get complicated sometimes to make sure every pet has what they need to thrive, but it is worth the effort!

• April 16, 2018 / 4:17 pm

Oh my your house sounds like a ton of fun!
      I am sure it does get difficult to give them all what they each need every day especially since you have different types of pets but you are right – every moment is worth it! Pets are the most wonderful thing in life!

23. April 15, 2018 / 8:33 pm

Such beautiful considerate and logical practical ideas for all pets to get play and me time in a multi pet home! We have a one baby home but when we dog sit for our neighbor, we make sure that both get love and petting equally!

• April 16, 2018 / 4:02 pm

Thank you so very much! Sounds like you are on top of things for when you have a pet guest! I am sure your baby also gets tons of love and attention 🙂

24. April 15, 2018 / 9:30 pm

I have 2 dogs but Sophie, the older one, is a classic older child. She’s so responsible with the younger dog so she has earned her one-on-one time. When she gets it, she acts like a complete goofball. I’m the younger child in my family – maybe I owe my older brother an apology!

• April 16, 2018 / 4:16 pm

Sophie sounds absolutely pawesome! That is so sweet of her and MOL that is funny – maybe you should get your bother an “im sorry” gift 🙂

25. April 16, 2018 / 12:23 am

There are some terrific tips in here! I agree with you that you really need to know the unique needs of each individual pet in order to best serve those needs. I try to get my dogs out together and separately because I feel it’s good for them to influence each other and to be able to function without the other. Congratulations on winning the kitty bed! It looks super comfy!

• April 16, 2018 / 4:15 pm

That is so smart of you to do Stephanie! I agree it is great for them to have their time together too!
      Oh yes, thank you so much I was so happy to have won it and it is absolutely getting a lot of use! I LOVE that I can easily take the fabric off to wash it too!

26. April 16, 2018 / 11:42 am

I once had 4 cats and 2 dogs. And yep – I agree. It’s important to take a moment to be one-on-one with each. They really do need to know you have a moment just for them. Right now it’s easy. We are a single pup household.

• April 16, 2018 / 4:13 pm

I am right there with you Sonja! We once had 5 cats and 3 dogs. Sadly, down to 2 of each now. It does take a lot of time out of one’s day to properly give that one-on-one time but it’s my favorite times of the day.
      Enjoy having all your love going to one pup! That is super special too!